Model Cars Magazine Forum

breathing new life into a old elco

Lownslow

this thing was pretty banged up when i bought it in a lot of other glue bombs, the exception was this one rolled so i gave it to my niece to play with while one by one they were destroyed out of the 3 survivors i decided to fix in the future this was one of them. when the wheels finally broke she lost interest and it sat at the bottom of the toy box. one day i went up there to look for it and found it with 3 wheels on it and the 4th inside.

here it is when i found it. my GF and i called it "The Mexican" because it reminded her of one of her dads friends who had a el camino that was brazzered out in a similar style. for a while the name stuck then my friend told me theres a narco song about a cool pick up truck called

LA Troca Perrona (rought translation: the cool truck) so i decided to rename it La Perrona. i decided on a felt interior cause her friends dads elco had a fully velvetted one

un3UJ.jpg

4u8BI.jpg

OoPuM.jpg

DzXvs.jpg

A9R4J.jpg

RjigR.jpg

here it is after stripping i threw the old wheels out and originally wanted to use these on it but over time i lost interest in keeping them so i switched to the 3 spoke blades and aoshima tires, i molded the roll pans,sidewings and tailgate my GF said it looks better with a spoiler so i added the lip wing once painted i plan on doing the same pattern in felt on the bed. i also cut a small sunroof for kicks. i still plan on using the same exterior colors with more updated graphics

LEDvj.jpg

GBUzw.jpg

9VzZ6.jpg

You are doing a great resto job with this one. Keep it going.

thanks i still dont know what year it is so finding a hood would be a problem i decided to just leave it

Interesting hand-painted flames on the original.

yup it was on there really thick too i was debating for tome time in redoing the flames but im still not sure on that.

• 3 weeks later...

even though the original build was rough it had a certain amount of coolness that is going to be hard to beat. the wheels on the rebuild just look too big to me and all wrong. i think it needs that wicked rake and old school wheel and tires to work. nice job finishing up the roof pillars though :P

thanks, i havent found smaller front tires yet if all else fails ill raise it slightly in the rear.

It's not your tire or rim size. If you look at the original, the front end is more slammed with the tires tucked up under the fender all the way to the rim. And the rear end is sitting just the same as it is now with the top of the tire right at the edge of the fender well.

Cool resto, and a cool car.... makes me think of that movie Hollywood Knights.... "wheres your el camino, wheres your el camino"... :lol: I love that movie... k sorry im done ;)

Ron

It's not your tire or rim size. If you look at the original, the front end is more slammed with the tires tucked up under the fender all the way to the rim. And the rear end is sitting just the same as it is now with the top of the tire right at the edge of the fender well.

Cool resto, and a cool car.... makes me think of that movie Hollywood Knights.... "wheres your el camino, wheres your el camino"... :lol: I love that movie... k sorry im done ;)

Ron

i get what youre saying, im not a big fan of the dissapearing sidewall look unless its layed out on all 4 corners it looks weird when you can see a whole rear wheel and half the front. i did score 2 small sidewall tires and so far happy with how it mocked up. lol i have no idea why im building this im not a truck or elcamino person

Lookin good! How's that 'model wax' work? Does it rub on and off like a regular car wax or? And I like the speghettios can organizer/holder in the background thats good stuff B)

take it easy

Ron

the bottle was to show off the reflection i used meguiars scratch x and ultimate compound before i waxed. just like normal everyday wax but better for models anyways i think its turtle wax. lol i was supposed to make a headlight of it for my bike but never got around to it.

heres the elco all finished up

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44938

Oh ok, cool ;) Does it smell like turtle wax or something?

headlight of it for your bike??

no has the texture but its softer, ultimate compound smells like cinnamon lol.

yup was gonna build a rat rod bicycle but for budget reasons i havent gotten there yet