Model Cars Magazine Forum

How often do you go into your LHS and find something . . .

Most of what is available to us on the shelves of the local hobby shop is good stuff we expect to find, stuff we know has been released, stuff we have two, three, four,or more, on our shelves at home. Every once and awhile I'll find something that I've never seen before, maybe something old, maybe something from a forign source, either way it keeps me coming back, scouring those shelves. Heck, I've been known to venture into the aircraft section or even look at armor.:lol:

The local shop doesn't buy collections nor do they carry anything from other than Revell and R2 so I rarely ever find anything there that I didn't already know about. If I travel about an hour away I get to a shop that has those WOW factor kits every now and then though.

Most of what is available to us on the shelves of the local hobby shop is good stuff we expect to find, stuff we know has been released, stuff we have two, three, four,or more, on our shelves at home. Every once and awhile I'll find something that I've never seen before, maybe something old, maybe something from a forign source, either way it keeps me coming back, scouring those shelves. Heck, I've been known to venture into the aircraft section or even look at armor.:P

i have gone to my LHS's a lot lately . I look at the RC car area the Rc plane and chopper ( Sig stuff) areas too for ideas and to see if any thing their doing can help me. i also

look at the armor and plastic model aircraft kits but for now i am interested in model cars. and i wander over to the magazine rack. wink wink nod nod.

the train stuff and tools help some. three shops have game tables .and one can see what the wargamers are doing lots of white metal figures going on there .

one has a sale table one never knows what one might find there i got a Model Cars Calender (08) for 50 cents the other day and some Alclad clear Base for a buck..the old stuff not the new water base.

i get a 10% discount there for showing my VA card. try that online. good stuff comes in and goes out so i check often . i read the printed notices about clubs too they have on the board . not every thing is online.

if you Have a hobby shop you can reach do so not just to buy a kit . give them you name and phone number or you email addy and they will let you know when that thing you asked about is in.

with LHSs disapearing due to the internet and what not i dont think i have ever set foot in mine without the express purpose of spending some money

now, a lot of times i go in there intending to buy something i saw on one of my previous trips there but sometimes i let the store show me what i need

and if i really dont see any kits i want to spend the money on there is always paint and tools i can use more off

having said that, my LHS carries some very intresting stuff, including revell of germany kits and some of those japanese ones i dont know how to pronounce

on top of that they do sell of collections for individuals which happened to me the reason for my last trip there, i had some overtime last week and they had the "offroad adventure" kit for 32.95 :P

My LHS is a chain store, so I am used to finding things I did not expect. Like, out of the color or paint I want, out of primer, out of Tenax or Ambroid, out of Evergreen, out of brass tubing, out of Model Cars Magazine, bla bla bla. I can travel to another city where there is great hobby shop, but sometimes I just wanna go down the road a couple minutes to pick up some supplies. At least there IS an LHS in my town.

I'm at my LHS a few times per week. Mostly just to browse and talk shop with the owner. I'll buy a kit once or twice a week to help support him. Even if I don't intend to build it. It'll just go to the top of the pile. Today I bought AMT's 61 Ford Ranchero Custom, I'll never build it. I always buy the 55/57 Sportsman kits when he has them in..2-3 at a time, as well as the 68 Hemi Dart, I must has 10 of those and 20+ of the 55 Sportsman. I think I buy some much stuff there just for the hell of it I get a discount on my kits, I always end up paying so close to the sticker price , I'm getting a $2-4 dollar discount.Sometimes I'll buy $20-$30 in paint. Sometimes, something will catch my eye and I'll grab it,like the Touch n Flow applicator with refill bottle and stand. I don't know how I went this long without it, my seams are so neat and clean now.

Muy local shop get my visit twice a month. Went yesterday and Bob the owner says he'll be closing in Dec this year.

:D I'm bummed...

BUT, he did give me 30% off, for whatever that's ultimately worth. He's cool and always orders what I need.

Bob