Model Cars Magazine Forum

Real aluminum Peterbilt wheels

Hey guys, here's a project I have been working on for over a year now. I drew up these Peterbilt wheels to where they are exactly 24.5 in 1/24 with all the correct contours that the real wheel has. They will fit the Italeri rubber tires as well as most of the aftermarket rubber tires available. I had Jim Littiken at Micro Nitro make these for me on his CNC equipment and he has done an outstanding job!!!! I know most of you may think the price is too high but you have to remember, these are precision machined aluminum parts made exactly to my specs. Anyone that knows machining will know that 14.00 per wheel is a good deal! If your not interested, that's fine but please don't post here telling me how you would never spend that much on a model, part or whatever. This post is for those who ARE interested. For those who are interested, you can purchase these wheels as well as many others Jim offers by emailing him at: hoosierminiatures@gmail.com.

Be sure to tell him I sent you! Also, if you do order some, please let me know as I am wanting to know how well these do as I am hoping to have him make other styles such as Kenworth wheels as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peterbilt-10-Oval-hole-Machined-Aluminum-Wheels-1-25-/290572435075?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7777e83

Edited by Ben

ben are gonna ofer lug nuts or bolts for these..

Correct lug nuts and acorn nuts and threaded studs are available from other sources, but they are another fortune. If I could afford theses wheels now, I would get them.

Edited by chuckyr

ben are gonna offer lug nuts or bolts for these..

I did design cool little acorn nuts as well as standard type lug nuts to go with these wheels. They are also machined aluminum and can be purchased from RB Motion. I have recently discovered some nice plastic nuts with the stud sticking out the center as well that should work with these but I have not purchased any yet.

I gave Jim plans to make the domed center hub cover or "top hat" to be used in the rear wheels and I think he will be offering those soon as well.

I gave Jim plans to make the domed center hub cover or "top hat" to be used in the rear wheels and I think he will be offering those soon as well.

Would the top hat work with AMT wheels with the open centers too?

These look very nice.

Can you buy just the top hats separate when they come out?

I have a set of one off rims that Jim did for my 1/12 Camaro and his work is GREAT.

These cost about $20.00 more than what my camaro rims did.

And I will be getting some when I come up with some extra cash.

Anybody want to buy some truck kits? I need a new set of rims. :lol:

You can use all ten rims for the outside and have enough to do a matching set on the truck and trailer.

These photo's are not meant to show off my car they are to show more of Jim's work.

Front Camaro rims

DSC05804.jpg

Rear Camaro rims

DSC05803.jpg

Side shot

DSC05805.jpg

Actually, what I'd like to see is some custom wheels for a 1/16th KW. If I drew up a design for wheels, how much would it cost to have them made?

I know a little about machining and guestimate you'd be looking at between $50 and $75 per wheel. Also, at that rate, the machinist would have to agree to do the job for love of the hobby or a personal challenge. After I realized how expensive it is to have custom machining done, I bought my own lathe and mill and derive a great amount of satisfaction producing my own metal parts.

Ashame no one bid on them.

$(KGrHqR,!igE3YBqc5esBN5u3Zioc!~~_12.JPG

What's really going to be a shame is when these wheels are gone, they're most likely gone forever, just like the one's Bill Drennen had made. I'm sure there are some out there that are wanting these but think they can get them later on. It will be a shame if they miss out. I just ordered my first set of ten with hub tophats. I'm not gonna miss out on em!!!!

Hey Ben thanks for putting these on here. You are right these are high priced. I will do them guys here on the forum for $13.00 each and free shipping. There is a ton of work in them so I do not think I will be making a lot of them.

hey jim will the "top hats" fit in the amt rims and if so can we order them by themselves ?

hey jim will the "top hats" fit in the amt rims and if so can we order them by themselves ?

Hey Dennis, if you shave the lug nuts off the AMT wheel, the tophats will fit in them. The tophats have a very thin "ring" that the lug nuts sit on top of. I made another post here showing exactly what they look like.

• 1 month later...

WOW!! I got a build I have been working on. (Crew cab 85 Dually) I'd love to put a set of these on there!!! MicroNuts work is AMAZING!!!

Hey James, If you need measurments or anything, to see if the tires your wanting to use will fit them let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...