Model Cars Magazine Forum

1911 Stanley Steamer

GTMust

I finally got one finished and off my workbench! I've been working on this build in between the two Fox CPB builds and the D50 pickup. Now, with the Stanley completed I can get the Fox Mustangs finished for the July 1st deadline (I hope!). Although I know the Fox CPB will be open ended after July Ist, it still gives me a target date for completion.

Anyway, back to the Stanley. This is a vintage 1/32 scale Pyro kit that was re-issued by Life Like and they're extremely rare and hard to find. The kit comes with a "convertible top", but it sits so high and looks totally wrong that I left it off, as per the prototype photo and many others I found on the web:

1909SteamerE2runabout.jpg

(this is a runabout, mine is a tourer.)

Here's the model:

ss11.jpg

ss10.jpg

ss12.jpg

ss13.jpg

Anyone that follows the diarama threads will see I've made absolutely no progress on this one at all!!

Cool!

Are those side skirts in the kit or did you scratchbuild them?

They're part of the fender assembly and I just brush painted them Humbrol Satin Black. The rest of the car was painted with Krylon "Short Cuts" rattle cans.

i had one of these in a larger scale some time back... i found it at the flea market and had to repair lots of broken parts, then sold it to an antique shop. Stanley held the speed records for YEARS on end with these machines... a steam engine has optimum torque from takeoff, meaning that it does not have to change gears to get up to speed; top speed is available almost instantly (limited by the axles, tires, and wheels, mostly) from the start. they can also be valved down to an infinite crawl using the enormous torque available.

there were many other steam cars extant up into the '30's, but widespread availability of a much cheaper fuel and less maintenance hungry vehicles spelt the end of American Steam cars.

i wonder what modern materials and techniques would do for a steam powered car...............

I have built a couple of the Pyro Bugatti's in this scale but they're not very well detailed. The 1/32 scale Matchbox Bugatti T59 is a superb kit..... but the unique wire wheels are to clumsy and heavy looking from the kit. Unfortunately I've been unable to find a decent set of aftermarket wheels to finish the model so it's still in limbo.

Bug1.jpg

(This model was converted from the two seat road car to a single seat race car.) If I ever find a set of accurate wheels I'll finish the model and post it " under glass". And thanks for all the nice comments.

Yeah, the lack of accurate Bugatti T 59 piano wire wheels is an issue. I have both the Pyro kit and the AMT boxing of the Matchbox kit; since the Pyro is based on an actual car I've researched, which has pontoon style cycle fenders, I plan to bash them together. But I'm still not quite sure about the wheels, which probably will have to be custom photoetched from a simplified design.

But I figure if this guy can do a totally scratchbuilt version in 1/43, it's doable.

1-43BUG_59_SPORT.jpg

I got a nice set of accurate wires for my 1/18 Bburago T59 kit (actually, somewhere between 1/16 and 1/15), however.

Edited by sjordan2

It's amazing to me that makers of 1/43 scale kits and aftermarket parts can do such a superb job of making wire wheel's..... yet the larger kit makers wire wheels are mostly way oversized (the wires, I mean).

There are a few 1/32 scale slot car suppliers, mostly in Europe, that make some fine 1/32 scale wires but none, as far as I can tell, for the type 59. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and keep looking.

By the way, those are two beautiful models.

I'm really enjoying your 1/32 models. I'm currently working on a Pyro 1/32 Mercedes Benz SSK.

I don't know if they would be adaptable to the Bugatti, but Herb Deeks sells his photoetched Borrani style on Ebay. They can be used for 1/24 or larger wheel size 1/32. I have a 1/32 Matchbox Auto Union that I'd like to use those wheels on. I think they go for $18 a set.

"Side skirt's?" Is that the same as a "Splash Apron?" or is steam different?

any how that is a fine model as are all the other models shown here.

wheels rims demountable,and clinchers and tires/tyers drive me nuts.

buffalo wires in 1/24 scale would be a nice thing to find. but no..