Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Ford Mustang Boss

peanutskeeter

Nice paint job, but you have the valve covers on upsidedown i think. Boss's plugs were on the TOP of the cylinder heads, thru the valve covers. It looks like you wired it as a conventional head, with the plugs down near the exhast ports. But i think the engine greaseing looks good. Came out nice.:);)

Nice paint job, but you have the valve covers on upsidedown i think. Boss's plugs were on the TOP of the cylinder heads, thru the valve covers. It looks like you wired it as a conventional head, with the plugs down near the exhast ports.

No George, it looks like he has them correct, and the plugs appear to be going in the top of the vavle covers the way they should and not near the exhaust. It's not hard to get the covers in that kit right, there is a big "Boss 429" stamp on them! :) As long as it is right side up, the valve covers are right.

Nice job Scott and wwelcome to the forum! ;)

ALL Boss 429 valve covers mount the plugs thru the TOP of the valve cover. His wires are too low to be correct. Sorry, but that ISN'T the way they should be installed(the plug wires). Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it LOOKS like they are mounted into the valve covers way too low. The plug wires do not run ANYWHERE near the exhast ports on a Boss 429. Of course it doesn't mean it's not a nice build, it IS. just wanted him to know, that way, if he builds another Boss 429, he'll know where the plugwires should go. Not a critic, just an observation. He has done a nice job on it.

ALL Boss 429 valve covers mount the plugs thru the TOP of the valve cover. His wires are too low to be correct. Sorry, but that ISN'T the way they should be installed(the plug wires). Maybe it's just the angle of the picture, but it LOOKS like they are mounted into the valve covers way too low. The plug wires do not run ANYWHERE near the exhast ports on a Boss 429. Of course it doesn't mean it's not a nice build, it IS. just wanted him to know, that way, if he builds another Boss 429, he'll know where the plugwires should go. Not a critic, just an observation. He has done a nice job on it.

The reason I put them where I did was because that's where the towers were to mount a small wire. Your advice is noted, thanks for the input.

It's hard to tell by the angle of the photos, but I must say I'm also of the opinion that the valve covers are on upside-down...I agree that the wires seem to be too close to the exhaust for them to be on right side-up.

I just checked my Boss 429 kit, and the valve covers ARE INSTALLED COREECTLY and according to this picture, it also appears Scott put the wires as close as he could get to the real thing!

800px-Boss_429.jpg

THANKS for the pic,Matt! See wat i mean about the plugwires goin in from the top? From the original pic, it didn't look like that, still doesn't to me, but I'm glad you posted that pic so we could see how they are SUPPOSED to look. Thanks again! ;):):rolleyes:

For a first build,you didn't do too bad. You didn't state what paint was used,but it could be more glossy.

Maybe a careful go around with some Novus #2 or some other Mild compound. The weathering on the underside looks believable. Of course,foiling the trim would be a plus,that will come in due time.

THANKS for the pic,Matt! See wat i mean about the plugwires goin in from the top? From the original pic, it didn't look like that, still doesn't to me, but I'm glad you posted that pic so we could see how they are SUPPOSED to look. Thanks again! :lol: :lol: ;)

Here is another view of the motor.

b7dd18ac.png