Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeff Gordon's 2002 Fireworks Monte Carlo

Probably one of his coolest paint scheme's ever, I have decided to go ahead and try this one in detail.

I dont have any really big high res pics of the car so here is one of a few I have.

rwb-vi.jpg

I did a rather straight forward chassis utilizing many ofthe kit bars. I did add new engine bars from the firewall forward.

P1010517-vi.jpg

P1010518-vi.jpg

I did quite a few body mods:

Kicked out front end, opened and hinged trunk and hood with underside detail, new brass roof flaps, PE rear spoiler, and integrated pass speedway window front lip.

P1010521-vi.jpg

P1010522-vi.jpg

P1010520-vi.jpg

I skipped pictures of the primer stage and wanted show off the blue and neon I used. I have looked closely at the best stock build I think still to this date which is Brian Fascia's.The blue used was mixed by Al Mosteller in a one stage form. While it was a great looking color I wanted more pop. I decided to use house of colors oriental blue kandy basecoat.It is a one stage paint that builds up like a basecoat with candy incorporated in it. I shot it over grey primer followed by omni clear. I only added one good coat of clear since I have to add decals and more clear. What a color!!!!

P1010523-vi.jpg

The trunk decal on the slixx sheet has neon in it. The problem is it will not match the neon paint you see here. I carefully made a template of the "Miracles of science" logo and masked it off before shooting tamiya ts-36 neon over white primer. It will look much better!

P1010526-vi.jpg

the decals will look so at home over this paint. then I will add two more coats of clear for a killer gloss!

P1010528-vi.jpg

P1010527-vi.jpg

Well I got i all decaled in the last few days. The sheet was quite challenging to apply. Despite them not bleeding at all the drawback was they needed gallons of micro sol to lay down! I heated up the fun room because I was slinging so much micro sol and running the hair dryer!.

I think it paid off... very minimal polishing is needed after I applied two coats of Omni clear... quite a stunning paint scheme!

P1010529-vi.jpg

P1010530-vi.jpg

P1010531-vi.jpg

P1010532-vi.jpg

P1010533-vi.jpg

P1010534-vi.jpg

Ok, I'm not a NASCAR expert, not by any means... but wouldn't a "killer gloss" be sort of unrealistic?

this has been a topic of controversy for a long time Harry.... older cars had duller paint schemes but a newer cup car such as this one would be very clean, smooth and shiny. In fact alot of teams clear over all the decals at a Superspeedway track such as Daytona, which this car ran at in 2002 at the Pepsi 400 in July. Thanks for the question and I hope it does not spark a bunch of wars... :lol:

DaveT

this has been a topic of controversy for a long time Harry.... older cars had duller paint schemes but a newer cup car such as this one would be very clean, smooth and shiny. In fact alot of teams clear over all the decals at a Superspeedway track such as Daytona, which this car ran at in 2002 at the Pepsi 400 in July. Thanks for the question and I hope it does not spark a bunch of wars... :lol:

DaveT

No, no wars intended.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I thought the "paint schemes/decals" on these cars was all one giant piece of vinyl decal film, which would have sort of a semi-gloss finish... sort of like the "rolling billlboard" cars you sometimes see on the street.

No, no wars intended.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I thought the "paint schemes/decals" on these cars was all one giant piece of vinyl decal film, which would have sort of a semi-gloss finish... sort of like the "rolling billlboard" cars you sometimes see on the street.

Some do some don't.... I saw Jeff's 2005 500 Winner at Daytona USA and the entire car, contingencies, numbers, flames, all were clear coated. My assumption is the higher dollar teams ( what are not high dollar these days?) massage the bodies for the big SS tracks especially and clear the decals and all to create less drag.

Edited by David Thibodeau

Some do some don't.... I saw Jeff's 2005 500 Winner at Daytona USA and the entire car, contingencies, numbers, flames, all were clear coated. My assumption is the higher dollar teams ( what are not high dollar these days?) massage the bodies for the big SS tracks especially and clear the decals and all to create less drag.

Makes sense.

Since DuPont sponsors and supplies all of Jeff's paint, it will have decals instead of a vinyl wrap. Some use wraps for speed and repairs and such. Some paint and decal. Some clear over decals for certain tracks and some clear the car and then decal for others. All cars are cleared and waxed unless they use wraps. Watch a night race and the paint and clear jobs really show up under the lights.

If it sparks a war, I can get the correct information from Jeff Gordan himself. That is a sweet paint/sticker scheme. Did you have the decals made or was that a kit?

Edited by Kaleb