Model Cars Magazine Forum

Have a question...

Alright,

I'm getting around to making my high school resume, and was thinking... is this a hobby that would be good to put in the "Interests?Activities" area of my resume. I thought I may as well ask the best :D

Just was wondering about it... and if anyone has any resume help, it wouldn't hurt to hear that too ;)

I always put it in mine, but people always ask if I am a model... and I tell no... I build plastic models. They are always like ah, I see - with some sort of puzzling disappointment.

For a high school student, listing hobbies and interests is a good idea for a resume, especially as most of you don't have a lot of work experience to list.

I would list it as something like "scale model building" to head-off any confusion.

Charlie Larkin

For a high school student, listing hobbies and interests is a good idea for a resume, especially as most of you don't have a lot of work experience to list.

I would list it as something like "scale model building" to head-off any confusion.

Charlie Larkin

If they ask about it tell them it has taught you to focus on the little details. As well as follow directions and achieve a high level patience.

If they ask about it tell them it has taught you to focus on the little details. As well as follow directions and achieve a high level patience.

Excellent point, Justin, and one that will absolutely increase employability.

And also you like the glue fumes...

:) :) :)

Um.....no.

Charlie Larkin

And also you like the glue fumes...

:P:lol: :lol:

Sadly I prefer Sharpie's... :blink::lol:

justin2020, on 17 June 2011 - 11:09 PM, said:

For sure, that was actually my thought. It allows for me to not only exercise a talent but allows for innovative problem solving, testing and building up of my patience, and minute attention to detail because in the end presentation is #1. :)

Hobbies and interests on a resume is pretty low on the page. It merely rounds out the insights into who you are and what you know, not just for the reasons already listed but you never know when an employer might respond to or associate with that interest and consider you a man of "like mind" and "good for the team." Definitely list it.

That makes sense. To kinda keep that "in mind" or something for later, I think you get what I mean.

My wish of course would be to work at a sports card shop or hobby shop... I know as a teen though that's obviously hard to do... lol, I'm going to keep looking around of course, I really haven't decided on where to try to apply though. For the fact in sports cards I've been around that hobby since I can remember and it just comes so natural, as well as the modelling hobby. Thing is in sports cards, the local shop has Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments and what not (no I don't play that lol) but they have a young age group of workers running the shop which gives me some sort of hope a 1st job there or at a different one would be possible. Hobby shops seem to be run by older people (no offense) but they've been around the block which is a good thing because they are very knowledgeable. I would take it as a learning experience for me but I'm also knowledgeable in the hobby and would also be an asset.

Thing is I like a relaxed work environment. Hobby shops of any sort would be an amazing first job just to learn from those who know the craft and/or be able to work in a hobby area I love most (as in both)