Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Duplicolor paint / clear question

I have recently started using duplicolor primer and so far it has worked very well and costs a lot cheaper than tamiya products. I am considering using their paint (I think its called perfect match or something series) on models and I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences with it. Does it go on too thick? How is it compared to lets say tamiya spray paints?

I have only used their black primer and I'm wondering what other colors they make? DO they also make a clear coat that works well with models? If i'm using lets say duplicolor primer, paint, and clear will I have to use primer sealer too or is the sealer only for models molded in red and other random colors? Thanky for thy time everyone.

Andrew, I pretty much use their paint and Clear exclusively in my shop, The best primer I have found is at Canadian Tire it's called "Primer" it comes in grey and red oxide, I also use their Acrylic Enamel Clear, below is a truck that uses the Primer, Perfect match paint, and clear I mentioned.

(it dosen't yellow the white, that's my bad photography, as for the roughness, it's a for a timed build)

FILE0629.jpg

FILE0624.jpg

FILE0631.jpg

FILE0632.jpg

FILE0633.jpg

Nick

As for the thickness, it goes on pretty well and not thick. And my favourite part if it's metallic or metalflake, the flakes are in scale.

Edit: these ones were also done with the above things.

FILE0614.jpg

FILE0324.jpg

Edited by Nick Winter

I have used Duplicolor paint quite a bit. It may seem to be a tad heavy in the spray but nothing that cant be figured out. They have primers in red, black,white, a couple shades of gray. I use the primer/sealer for the colored plastic and it works great. A lot of people use Duplicolor. Tamiya primers and paint spray way to light for me and the colors seem to take too many coats to cover for my liking. It seems to come out extremely fast and I believe a lot gets wasted. Yep, I really dont know why people like Tamiya paint. I think its the Japanese syndrome that they build better stuff. I have had not much luck with thier products. Try testors lines of Laquers in metalics and muscle car colors that are very excellent Sorry about my included rant. I drive American and paint American :lol::D:lol::lol::)

Andrew, one thing to watch using the DupliColor "Perfect Match" paint is that some, if not all of them, are lacquers. I found this out when painting this plane.

HPIM2741.jpg

The yellow was DulpiColor's enamel and the blue is a Perfect Match Ford color, if I remember correctly, and the first coat of blue over the yellow started to wrinkle. It was not as bad as some wrinkling I've had between lacquer and enamel and was hidden under later coats, but it something to be aware of. There was no plroblems between the blue and the DupliColor primer, though.

Oh, and also where I had the wrinkling problem, the lacquer did not bond well with the yellow enamel either. I accidentally knocked the plane off the shelf where I had it sitting, and the paint flaked off when the wing hit the floor! Thankfully that was all that fell off, but now it needs a new paint job! :)

Thanks guys. Good to hear that their clear does not yellow whites. Can't wait to experiment with their paint.

As Matt mentioned the biggest issue is, much like the movie Ghostbusters, NEVER CROSS THE STREAMS! That means stick within one genre of paint over large areas. Either all enamel or all lacquer. Mixing the two will give results like Matt is describing. I've yet to see any difficulties painting acrylic or enamels over their primer once it gases out. Dupli-Color is a "paint system", it's designed to go primer, color, clear. There's not a lot of use for the Red Oxide primer other than 60's GM chassis pans, and if you want to paint something red, or other really dark color (but not black, cause red & black make a brownish tinted black). I use the white primer under white, and any light shade of paint. Gray can go under most anything you don't want to tint one way or the other. The only use for Primer Sealer as mentioned is to "seal out" a color that will bleed through.

I noticed they also have instant chrome paint. Has anyone ever tried it? It is like alclad or does it work on models at all?

also about bumper chrome!

do you have to lay a gloss black paint job down then bumper chrome or what im trying to understand this alittle better myself? B)

I used the DupliColor Chrome on these fenders, and while not a deep chrome finish like kit chrome has, it wasn't bad. It's more of a "dirty" chrome or brushed chrome look, and I haven't tried polishing it yet.

HPIM3009.jpg

There is even some reflectiveness to it, as you can see in this pic.

HPIM3015.jpg

Like I said, not a deep chrome look, but maybe with some polishing it may help.

What is this aclyric enamel paint? I got clear and a gloss black of that kind. Is it safe over aclyric and enamel or is it just a enamels? Can I mix it with tamiya spray enamels?

someone told me this ... enamels over acrylics cracks on you everytime! while on the other hand acrylics over enamels doesn't! :D

i dont think acrylics will mix with enamels at all (if not very well)... if anyone else has more knowledge than me by all means...! :rolleyes:

got that all wrong there fella. you can apply oil based enamels over acrylics without problems. the issue is with applying lacquer over oil based enamels and that is where you will get the reaction and cracking. however, knowing that you can also use that affect to your advantage in some cases.

and the guy is a body repair person! :D

I just used duplicolor enamel clear over a duplicolor enamel gloss black and parts of the surface where the clear has been applied appear to be "cloudy" or "milky". Did I use too much or maybe not enough? Anyone have any idea what this whole cloudy white thing is all about?

I just used duplicolor enamel clear over a duplicolor enamel gloss black and parts of the surface where the clear has been applied appear to be "cloudy" or "milky". Did I use too much or maybe not enough? Anyone have any idea what this whole cloudy white thing is all about?

If the humidity is high the clear will do that . after iy gasses out it might clear up i have had that happen on a number of occasions

Just like tabsscale1 mentions, it is the humidity. It can be fixed easily, just use a bit of wax on the clear and it will disappear. Better yet, get some 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper, wet sand the model being very careful not to sand away on the details, corners or emblems. Rub it with some rubbing compund and then wax it. You will be amazed at the shine.