Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Boss 429

jsimmons

I don't think he gets the point Mike. Commenting on something that you can't see in this thread doesn't work too well...... when the reference is in cyber space on his web site. Or perhaps he really doesn't want comments other than "looking good", etc?

But why bother? His mind is made up....... so be it.

I can help you with your chosen web browser if you need it. I use FireFox 5.0, and it can open pages in new tabs or new windows. I'm pretty sure Chrome, IE, Safari, and Opera can do that, too.

And no, I don't want to be pandered to regarding my builds.

Yes, my mind is made up, and it's attitudes like yours that entrenches me further. Happy now?

I've got an idea.......

Why don't we all start our own websites and use this MCM forum to post links to them?

Even better, let's post all our builds on another magazine's web site and just post a link on this forum to visit it.

But I don't think the administrators of this forum would appreciate that.....

I guess you still don't get it, do you?

(I have visited your site and it's a great site and I enjoy the build...... but that's not the point. It's a matter of principle. Perhaps one of the administrators should comment on this subject. I, for one, will be happy to hear their opinion.)

Edited by GTMust

I've got an idea.......

Why don't we all start our own websites and use this MCM forum to post links to them?

Even better, let's post all our builds on another magazine's web site and just post a link on this forum to visit it.

But I don't think the administrators of this forum would appreciate that.....

I guess you still don't get it, do you?

(I have visited your site and it's a great site and I enjoy the build...... but that's not the point. It's a matter of principle. Perhaps one of the administrators should comment on this subject. I, for one, will be happy to hear their opinion.)

Did I post a link to another magazine's site? Nope. It's my own site.

I've already said that I was going to post pics in Under Glass when it's done. If the admins REALLY wanted to keep everything here, they'd provide an area for WIP blogs (that allowed comments but didn't interrupt the flow of the blog) and force everyone to upload their pictures here instead of using external web sites, but when they do that, they have to impose restrictions regarding file size, resolution, and quantity. Otherwise it will get WAY out of hand.

My link has absolutely nothing to do with anything else regarding model cars - just my own stuff. As an aside, if local (San Antonio) builders are interested, I have an area to list links to their web site, be it their own web site, fotki, or whatever (but they have to specifically request that I do so - notice that particular page is empty). There are no commercial interests, no sponsors, no nothing. I don't endorse any single model car magazine site on my site, either. I simply post about the models I'm building.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the way I've chosen to do it - there is no conflict of interest between my site and this one. Unless and until the admins here specifically say we can't link to our own sites, I'm going to continue on this course. If they do move to prohibit it, I'd have to abandon my membership here because such a restriction would be, IMHO, beyond absurd.

Alright. I think we've gone as far as we need to on the post it here/provide a link debate. As of this point (and counting this message), 17 of 29 messages in this thread are NOT about the model in question. So, to yank things back on-topic, if you're going to comment on anything but the model/build (even if it's a positive comment), please keep it to yourself or confine it to PMs. It's not fair to everyone else that doesn't have a problem with it. When the model is done, there will be pics posted in Under Glass like everyone else does. Until then, the progress pics and narrative can be viewed at the link provided, and since I don't have a forums section n my site (on purpose), comments on it should be posted here.

Thanks for understanding, and I sincerely hope that my feathers were the only ones ruffled in the recent exchange.

I have a question and suggestion about the chassis alignment issue. Is it the whole driver's side that is off, or just at the rear? Is the chassis warped? In the rear shot (3rd photo) of the last update, it seems like the interior tub may be a little cock-eyed also. Maybe the tub isn't sitting into the body completely, and then the chassis isn't seating on the interior properly adding to the issue. I couldn't tell if you also had the windows in place in the mock-up. That could cause some fitment issue as well. Maybe a bit of material removal along the mating surface between the outer edge of the interior tub and the body, and where the tub meets the chassis will help the alignment. I know I've had to do that on more than one build over the years. I hope this helps.

Personally, I love the Boss 429, and look forward to your progress. I have the older release of this kit, plus the Boss 302, and Mach 1 in my stash, so will be interested to see the alignment solution.

MAN! honestly guys, stop being childish. I have yet to see and administrator have a problem to him posting a link to WIP on his own website. it's not a site that is trying to take away members of this or any forum. it's like having a blog, but with out adds. it only taks one click and a few seconds to load up. whats the big deal??

you guys need to grow up.

website is nice and you have some nice builds as well. keep up the great work on both. i hope you stay in the hobby longer, it's meant to be fun. B)

I agree, as far as I'm concerned, let this debate be over and the majority rule.

I just hope that a lot of other members don't start posting links to their websites for their builds and this forum just becomes an index of links, whether their sites are for profit or not.

No hard feelings from me and I hope there's none on the other side of the issue.

Tony

I have a question and suggestion about the chassis alignment issue. Is it the whole driver's side that is off, or just at the rear? Is the chassis warped? In the rear shot (3rd photo) of the last update, it seems like the interior tub may be a little cock-eyed also. Maybe the tub isn't sitting into the body completely, and then the chassis isn't seating on the interior properly adding to the issue. I couldn't tell if you also had the windows in place in the mock-up. That could cause some fitment issue as well. Maybe a bit of material removal along the mating surface between the outer edge of the interior tub and the body, and where the tub meets the chassis will help the alignment. I know I've had to do that on more than one build over the years. I hope this helps.

Personally, I love the Boss 429, and look forward to your progress. I have the older release of this kit, plus the Boss 302, and Mach 1 in my stash, so will be interested to see the alignment solution.

I've come to the conclusion that part of the problem is simply the act of mocking it up. If I set the chassis on the table and put the interior tub on it, the tub sits square and doesn't rock. This indicates to me that the chassis isn't warped (or both the tub AND the chassis are warped exactly the same amount and in exactly the same way). I hadn't mocked it up with the taillight panel in the car, so I gave it a shot (the taillight panel helps to retain the chassis under the car). When I did that, everything seemed to square up, so it looks like I'm good to go. I went ahead and glued the spindles onto the frame and mocked it up again, and it sits level (all four tires are touching the ground) and at the correct ride height in both front and rear. By all appearances, I'm gold. :lol:

I did the Boss 302 when it first came out over 20 years ago, and still have the assembled kit. I built it in a week. I'd like to do another one, and thankfully, Revell is re-releasing the kit. I'm prepping my other Boss 429 to be a pro-stock car (I need to scratch-build most of a chassis for it), and three other Mustangs, two Cobras, and a Thunderbolt Fairlane in the queue.

Edited by jsimmons

MAN! honestly guys, stop being childish. I have yet to see and administrator have a problem to him posting a link to WIP on his own website. it's not a site that is trying to take away members of this or any forum. it's like having a blog, but with out adds. it only taks one click and a few seconds to load up. whats the big deal??

you guys need to grow up.

website is nice and you have some nice builds as well. keep up the great work on both. i hope you stay in the hobby longer, it's meant to be fun. :o

I think everyone's good to go. :lol:

I agree, as far as I'm concerned, let this debate be over and the majority rule.

I just hope that a lot of other members don't start posting links to their websites for their builds and this forum just becomes an index of links, whether their sites are for profit or not.

No hard feelings from me and I hope there's none on the other side of the issue.

Tony

None here, as long as you remain a devoted Ford fan. :blink:

Your build looks good so far. Bummer about the body fit issue- hopefully you can figure it out and it's an easy fix.

One thing I've started to make sure I do when mocking up (this might seem obvious, but I neglected to do it for a while) is make sure the glass is fitted in the body (with tape) and the interior in more or less pieced together (mainly the dash and the rear deck). This way the chassis and floor pan has something to snug up to and gives you a truer sense of the ride height. Just a thought.

Looking at your last picture, it almost looks like the driver side-rear fender area is warped upwards just a little because the roof line looks to be pretty even. Could just be the picture though.