Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoleum automobile primer

I just bought a can of rustoleum automobile primer at walmart. and was wondering if it was safe to use on my models. also i wanted to know if i could spray testors one coat lacquer over top of it.

thanks.

Yes, a friend of mine used that primer with no problems.

As for the one coat lacquer, probably, but don't hold me to it.

Ok thanks, I was worried it wouldn't work. but i guess i'll just have to cross my fingers with the lacquer

I've heard this stuff will craze VERY BADLY on bare plastic, and possibly ruin it to the point where it's unstripable!

If you have a K-mart or a Sears Hardware store next to you, i'd reccomend using their "Quick & easy" Gray primer as it WON'T harm the plastic in any way. Also, it covers very well and drys fast, is cheap ($1.69) and easy to get.

If you want to use the Rustoluem primer over it for better coverage, you could apply the sears primer first, and then the rustoluem primer because it has a serface to bond to.

I've used Rustolium primer and never had a problem with it. If you are changing from Krylon to Rustolium be prepared for longer drying times.

I use Rustolium fairly frequently but prefer Krylon for the drying time. Krylon is usually safe to carefully handle within 15 minutes or so, I've found Rustolium can still be tacky after 30 minutes to an hour.