Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Future is Now!

wipers, horn, ignition (the car won't run without voltage), turn signals, tail lights, brake lights... :lol:

uh-juh-huh...havent you ever heard of diesels ?

funny story, i was working as an overhaul mechanic ones and we build different stages of diesel engines, some short blocks, some dress engines sme comeplete plug and play

the plug and play engine we would test run on a bench, slap on some fuel, water and oil and run her for an hour or so

well, one friday one of my coworkers had build a complete engine and had wheeled it over to the test area

he had put on 5 quarts of oil but hadnt done anything else to it

the next monday that guy had the day off and so another guy went in to test the engine, he hooked up the fuel, put on the water lines and dropped in 5 quarts of oil

well, the engine fired up just fine but as it started building oil presure it started picked up revs

at one point it was running almost 5000 RPM

the guy testing it shut off the fuel but the engine just kept running, it turned out the oil was overflowing into the head and pouring into the cylender by way of the valvetrain

the whole engine was just running on oil :lol:

I have a question. Why do we keep wasteing technolagy on cars that dont last very long, for instance you have an engine that will go 500,000 miles but the car will only last 12 years wich would probly be somewhere around 120,000 miles so then you have a broken car and a perfectly good engine that will go to wasted. Also dont we all hope that NOTHING, EVER breaks cause if it does your gonna need a computer guy from NASA to fix the dang thing (sarcasm of course). In some cars you cant even change the transmission fluid so how long before you cant even change your own oil? i guess we can say bye to the days where your car breaks down and you fix it on the side of the road, for god huh? just my 2 cents

I have a question. Why do we keep wasteing technolagy on cars that dont last very long, for instance you have an engine that will go 500,000 miles but the car will only last 12 years wich would probly be somewhere around 120,000 miles so then you have a broken car and a perfectly good engine that will go to wasted. Also dont we all hope that NOTHING, EVER breaks cause if it does your gonna need a computer guy from NASA to fix the dang thing (sarcasm of course). In some cars you cant even change the transmission fluid so how long before you cant even change your own oil? i guess we can say bye to the days where your car breaks down and you fix it on the side of the road, for god huh? just my 2 cents

I think this is a legitimate question and I also find it very upsetting.

There are a few likely suspects, and all probably play a degree to one point or another.

1. Planned obsolescence. This is another way of saying "we'll make a special part and then stop making it. We know the part will generally last so long, and then people will be forced to buy a new car because we'll stomp all over any aftermarket producer, too."

2. CAFE standards. Generally, to get better gas mileage, you need a car that weighs less. In order to make a car that weighs less, its (often mission-critical) components must weigh less. The lighter construction of items like electronic assemblies and switch-gear don't allow them to last as long as older, heavier comparable items. This is especially prevalent in items like alternators, power window switches, and so forth.

3. Cost engineering. We need a part. The pencil-pushing pinheads in accounting will only let us spend X dollars on this, and they must cost no more than X dollars per unit. You get what you pay for.

4. Bad design. This has always been a problem. From my observation, it's become worse. Sealed units, non-rebuildable assemblies, and so forth contribute to short component life.

5. Heat. Today's smaller cars tend to get very, very hot under the hood. As a result, electrical components, which are sensitive to ambient temperature, don't last as long because of the hot temperatures. The light construction previously alluded to is also a factor, as there's less material to act as a heat-sink, or, in some cases, to help dissipate the heat.

6. Poor assembly quality. It still happens, even with lasers, robots and all manner of other autmatonic marvels. People are still involved, errors will happen.

7. Well-assembled junk. You can have perfect, statistically-consistent assembly, zero defects, and all the other slogans that would make Dr. Demming spin in his grave, but if you're still building with junk...guess what you get?

These are my opinions. I'm sure others have theirs.

Charlie Larkin

I think this is a legitimate question and I also find it very upsetting.

There are a few likely suspects, and all probably play a degree to one point or another.

1. Planned obsolescence. This is another way of saying "we'll make a special part and then stop making it. We know the part will generally last so long, and then people will be forced to buy a new car because we'll stomp all over any aftermarket producer, too."

2. CAFE standards. Generally, to get better gas mileage, you need a car that weighs less. In order to make a car that weighs less, its (often mission-critical) components must weigh less. The lighter construction of items like electronic assemblies and switch-gear don't allow them to last as long as older, heavier comparable items. This is especially prevalent in items like alternators, power window switches, and so forth.

3. Cost engineering. We need a part. The pencil-pushing pinheads in accounting will only let us spend X dollars on this, and they must cost no more than X dollars per unit. You get what you pay for.

4. Bad design. This has always been a problem. From my observation, it's become worse. Sealed units, non-rebuildable assemblies, and so forth contribute to short component life.

5. Heat. Today's smaller cars tend to get very, very hot under the hood. As a result, electrical components, which are sensitive to ambient temperature, don't last as long because of the hot temperatures. The light construction previously alluded to is also a factor, as there's less material to act as a heat-sink, or, in some cases, to help dissipate the heat.

6. Poor assembly quality. It still happens, even with lasers, robots and all manner of other autmatonic marvels. People are still involved, errors will happen.

7. Well-assembled junk. You can have perfect, statistically-consistent assembly, zero defects, and all the other slogans that would make Dr. Demming spin in his grave, but if you're still building with junk...guess what you get?

These are my opinions. I'm sure others have theirs.

Charlie Larkin

^^Yup^^

I agree with the last one, however I'm not saying EXACTLY my opinion on that :mellow: I mean, 30 years ago people took pride in their work. These days all the people worry about is getting their paycheck; they don't care if they forgot to add tranny fluid.

As far as I'm concerned, cars will never be the same.

And that's a good thing, because today's cars are light years better than the cars of 20-30 years ago.

Safer, better handling, better braking, better fuel economy, better reliability, more comfort... why in the world would you want to go back to technology that's so inferior to what's available today?

And if it's "performance" you're talking about... you can buy a V6 Mustang today that has more HP than a V8 Mustang from 30 years ago had! And that's just one example... there are literally dozens more.

^^Yup^^

I agree with the last one, however I'm not saying EXACTLY my opinion on that :unsure:I mean, 30 years ago people took pride in their work. These days all the people worry about is getting their paycheck; they don't care if they forgot to add tranny fluid.

and 30 yrs ago you werent even a gleam in your dads eye so how would you know what people took pride in back then compared to now?

and 30 yrs ago you werent even a gleam in your dads eye so how would you know what people took pride in back then compared to now?

Uuum, have I made you mad or something? I mean, whenever I post something like that you always make a comment like that.

Not to be rude, just wondering :unsure:

And that's a good thing, because today's cars are light years better than the cars of 20-30 years ago.

Safer, better handling, better braking, better fuel economy, better reliability, more comfort... why in the world would you want to go back to technology that's so inferior to what's available today?

And if it's "performance" you're talking about... you can buy a V6 Mustang today that has more HP than a V8 Mustang from 30 years ago had! And that's just one example... there are literally dozens more.

1. light years better.... um unless you got a degree in computer science then um id say your wrong! (you don't have all this computer equipment on them!)

2. these "new" cars do not get as great fuel economy as you think prior to 30 yrs ago! ... take for instance you can get a (lets just say) a VW jetta TDI and some "moonshine" equipment and literally make your own "freedom fries" fuel! for pennies on the dollar compared to 4.5 to 5 dollars a gallon of diesel!

3. 300 horse v6 mustang???? now is that "factory rated" or "SAE rated"???? :unsure:

Edited by bandit1

3. 300 horse v6 mustang???? now is that "factory rated" or "SAE rated"???? :unsure:

the base Mustang will be powered by Ford’s 3.7L V6 for the 2011 model year. Although that engine produces 273 horsepower in Lincoln applications, power will be ramped up to 315 horsepower for the Mustang, according to The Mustang Source. That represents a significant increase of 105 horsepower over the current V6-powered Mustang and an 11 horsepower advantage of the Chevrolet Camaro V6.

and wasting money! that could be spent in better ways!

i was not reffering the federal govt. as "commies" in that way, i believe that our govt officals are corrupting america one piece at a time! thats why i call them "commies" cause i believe they are nothing but liars, theives, crooks, vandilist, mind controling idiots that we as americans elect to put in office cause there is no such thing as an honest politician but hey thats my two cents worth but what do i care no govt offical will listen to me!

I think you have the US Govt confused with the corporate offices of Wal-Mart :angry: