Model Cars Magazine Forum

Silly Me & the LNT

Ok, it's an LN, but then it wouldn't rhyme. Anyway, there I was

admiring my handywork in detailing the CAT 3208 engine in the Ford LN

kit using Ken Smith's article when I realized the hood on the LN

doesn't tilt! I was so upset. Has anyone used the hinging in Jensen's

book to hinge the LN hood?

Is the information in Smith's article correct? I don't know.

Personally I think the PCV valve is on the wrong side, but it looks

good.

Yes the Phil Jensen method works. I did it with my Ford's hood. I have tested it and it tilts ok. As for the Smith article, I did that for the same truck. I think it's fairly accurate, although I'm not 100% sure. It does make for a nicely detailed engine, although I painted mine Testors Ford engine blue, as I want mine to look like it was rebuilt by a die hard Ford fan.

Anthony,

Thanks for the info on the hinge. I'll have to give it a try. The reason why I questioned the PCV valve is in Jensen's book there is a photo of a Ford LN's engine, and it shows the PCV valve on the right. Maybe it isn't the same engine as in the kit? I suppose that's possible. Great photos, by the way.

This is one of those less than 10 minute but really neat superdetail items. I wish the doors would've been so simple. I had an experiment going, but the hinges, which worked, that I made were way too big. Still working that one. As to the PCV, it may be optional as to which side it was on. Some things on all engines are in different spots depending on the truck, even in the same make/model.

Guest Anthony Oteri
PCV?? Isn't that a "Crankcase Decompression Regulator" valve?? (since a diesel does not generate the required vacuum to operate a PCV system)