Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto World Model Car Catalogs

On 2/20/2023 at 12:06 PM, Lone Wolf said:

If one was to ever show up (a Haulin Hearse), it would have to bring in well over $100 at a minimum! I don't remember which version of the Hearse it was, much less where it vanished to, but I'd once built a hot rod Hearse complete with a molded in Mowtown Misslie hood scoop, blown "w/2-fours" BBC engine, covered in black metallic paint. I badly wish I still had it, along with a Haulin Hearse stable mate to display beside it!

That said, I've splurged ($$$) on a couple of Hearse kits (Heavenly & a Gold Cup Series) to modify/build, if I live long enough! In wanting to shorten & chop one, it's going to be incredibly difficult (while trying to not ruin the "vinyl top texture" in the process) due to how the body tapers in, as it goes up. It'll be extremely challenging but the only "simple way" I can see doing this is to cut the roof off at the top of the fenders/doors, then add a "shelf" along each side (inward along each fender top) for it to sit on (after shortening the roof around the bottom edges where it was cut off)...? Whatever is necessary, it's going to fully test my skills and patience! The only other option I see is to cut the car right down the center (minus the roof section), front to back, then narrow it as needed, to where the lower portion of the chopped roof would land where it originally was?

Edit: In contemplating how much to shorten and chop the Hearse kit, I scanned an image from the box side, printed it, cut it up into a few pieces, then taped it together (close to how I want it to turn out) as a guide to follow. I feel I need to add some taper, higher in the rear, lower roof-line at the front, once I actually start cutting on things.

1011018676_Chopped_Short0002.jpg.b88d1981bf9cda8791870098452185f1.jpg

maybe start with ambulance body & enclose the rear most side windows, no vinyl to concern yourself about

3 hours ago, thatz4u said:

maybe start with ambulance body & enclose the rear most side windows, no vinyl to concern yourself about

The 66 ambulance kits are currently $168 to over $330 (& I already spent small fortunes on hearse kits). I do have two 1959 ambulance kits (2 different Ghost Busters Ecto's) which I also hope to do similar work on, along with a Flintstone chopped 59 resin hearse body, provided I live long enough (but not all of them, 1 or 2 possibly). I actually really like the vinyl top texture on the 66 which is why I want to preserve it. Maybe I'm too stubborn or hard headed to give up on that idea? I know I'll figure out how best to chop it once I put my mind to it, and actually start working on it. There are times I enjoy a good challenge...

On 2/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, Bugatti Fan said:

The copy I had ran a page that started   'Who's Rich Morgan? Who cares? You might!'    Just one of those little captions that stayed in my mind all these years.    Never did find out who Rich Morgan was though!

Rich Morgan won one of the Revell model car contests.

Thanks for the feedback Jim.

I wonder if Rich Morgan is still around in car model making circles?  It is just one of those odd things that stuck in the mind down the years. I will ask the question in Where's Waldo!

Edited by Bugatti Fan
  • Like 1