Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clearing over aftermarket decals

Ok im getting ready to do the decals on my General lee build.

an there a 2 step decal white layer an then the color . im wanting to kw what is the best way to clear over them ..

i have a ppg paint on the body an will be using settin solution......

i will be useing BOYD'S HIGH GLOSS CLEAR .. FROM TESTORS.. thinned for airbrushing...

any help would be great... ive never cleared over decals ..

:Later Days ..Davin

This is probably a long shot Davin, but is there any spare decals on the sheet like a spare license plate that you won't use?? If there might be a spare or extra, try using the clear on a spare body over the decal and see if there are any problems. Sorry I can't offer any better advise.

I personally us all PPG basecoat clear coat paints.... DBC and Omni lines on my models. on build that I use decals either from the kit or Slixx decals. I spray my coats of base, clear the paint with 2 or three coats, let it dry apply my decals then add another 3 or 4 coats of clear and color sand and buff out. I have never had any trouble with the PPG Concept 2020 Ureathane Clear on my decals or builds. My last car that I clear and decaled I decided to Color sand the clear with 200 grit paper and decided to lay the decals down on that smooth surface since I was going to clear over them. Worked great and hoping to possibly get to color sand and buff the model out today.

If you are using decals printed on the Alps printer many inks, especially white will react with the clear you are going to use and will react with some other clears. I found a simple solution to decal reactions. Coat with Future floor polish. I have not had a reaction with any clear since I started this.

Brush on a coat, let dry, brush another thick coat and then let dry for at least a day. This also adds extra strength to the decal during the application process.

Trim close to the decal and apply. Let dry then apply your clear.

I have yet tried a clear that reacted with this process.

Have fun. B)

Dwayne