Model Cars Magazine Forum

new to forum and model trucks

hey guys i'm jon 24, used to build model cars when i was young but stopped for bout 10yrs now wanting to start on big rig models because i lovee older semi's, so bare with me if i ask a lot of stupid q's lol

thanks guys

Welcome to the blog Big Jon! You will finf a lot of useful references, great answers to questions and inspiration for new builds. The guys here are just so nice. Some of them know some stuff, some are really knowledgeable and some just seem to know everything! Old or new, technical or trivial, there is an accurate answer to it. So if you plan to build any kind of heavy duty truck model, you're at the right place! In all, it's a fun and addictive blog.

Welcome! :P

if you do any detailing take a lot alot lot lot of pics of the real thing ... and for gods sake remember to put on alot of lights real ones.. i suggust 9volt thier ez to hide .. warning keep a log book on your hrs .. try to keep it down to 100 to 150 hours each if poss .. o are you married ????? man i wish i had pics of my old stuff... after 100hrs we call it super detailing ...any thing you can ask has been so go back and find it (but) its not as much fun as talking to some body ...im mr cheap i do it for 10% of norm read my stuff by

Edited by mr cheap

if you do any detailing take a lot alot lot lot of pics of the real thing ... and for gods sake remember to put on alot of lights real ones.. i suggust 9volt thier ez to hide .. warning keep a log book on your hrs .. try to keep it down to 100 to 150 hours each if poss .. o are you married ????? man i wish i had pics of my old stuff... after 100hrs we call it super detailing ...any thing you can ask has been so go back and find it (but) its not as much fun as talking to some body ...im mr cheap i do it for 10% of norm read my stuff by

:huh::huh::huh::huh::blink::unsure::unsure:

rattle cans are ok but air brushing is better to the 10th power olololololololol but it cost $$$$$with a little bit of luck you can be painting for $60 or 70.00 for now just watch and learn....

No offense, but what the ---- are you even talking about?!?!? I haven't seen anyone say anything about painting ONCE in this thread!!! :lol::lol::blink::lol::D:huh::lol::lol:

i do have one question i'd like bigger stacks for my trucks something that would equal like 6" in real life scale i'm doing any ideas on materials and such pleasee and thank you guys!!

lol thanks highway glad ot be here liking the info and the crowd so far

Edited by bigjon28

i do have one question i'd like bigger stacks for my trucks something that would equal like 6" in real life scale i'm doing any ideas on materials and such pleasee and thank you guys!!

K&S aluminum tubing is a great material for making larger stacks, and come in a variety of sizes, and I have even added it to kit mufflers to make upper stacks instead of dealing with the seam when they are two piece uppers.

One thing I have found not to use is the stainless steel tubing from K&S. I used that for these stacks, and wore out a saw blade in the process!

HPIM3002.jpg

It is just too hard to cut with anything but a cutoff wheel, and is also too thick to bend. I wanted turnouts on the top of these, but I had to settle with miter cuts, and I HATE miter cut stacks!!! :D

lol thanks highway glad ot be here liking the info and the crowd so far

Well, BigJon, as a matter of fact, there is aluminum tubing you could use for the exhaust stacks. What's nice about this is that there is no weld to them so they make a pretty convincing exhaust system. You usually can find these at serious hobby shops, ones that sell model trucks and RC planes and cars should carry these. I just don't remember who does them. I did exactly that with my own Freightliner last year and I am going to do this for most of my next builds. For a 1:25 scale 6" pipe you'll need a .24" tube. A .25" tube will do a nice job. Have fun with your Freightliner, show us how you go about this project!:D

Well, BigJon, as a matter of fact, there is aluminum tubing you could use for the exhaust stacks. What's nice about this is that there is no weld to them so they make a pretty convincing exhaust system. You usually can find these at serious hobby shops, ones that sell model trucks and RC planes and cars should carry these. I just don't remember who does them. I did exactly that with my own Freightliner last year and I am going to do this for most of my next builds. For a 1:25 scale 6" pipe you'll need a .24" tube. A .25" tube will do a nice job. Have fun with your Freightliner, show us how you go about this project!:D

i'm gonna try but its not gonna look great lol you guys put me to shame for painting and detailing but i'll try my best i got a few ideas i'm really wanting to add a front drive axle and alot bigger, meatier tires to the truck as well just for it to be dif and make it a heavier truck

thanks for the info and i was gonna do mitre cut lol guess now i'll be hated lol...

You're welcome, but I won't hate you! :D:lol: I just have never cared for the look of a miter cut stack! :lol: