Model Cars Magazine Forum

Congratulations! I've been thinking of getting one myself.

I'd say go for it Jim, it might just come in handy someday. I had the chance some years back but didn't do it, now I wish did

Jim and Anthony, if you really want one, you can have mine!! :):P:D

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll work on my motorcycle license first. Just have to convince SWMBO first. She did say today that when I retire (in 20 or so years), that I should do long haul. Think she's trying to tell me somethng? B)

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll work on my motorcycle license first. Just have to convince SWMBO first. She did say today that when I retire (in 20 or so years), that I should do long haul. Think she's trying to tell me somethng? :blink:

It sure sounds like it!!! B):lol:;)

I've heard that if you already have a class B that you can take your class A using a pickup and a gooseneck trailer if you dont have a 18 wheeler just sitting around. Any truth to that? I'd like to up grade my class B

Guest Johnny

I've heard that if you already have a class B that you can take your class A using a pickup and a gooseneck trailer if you dont have a 18 wheeler just sitting around. Any truth to that? I'd like to up grade my class B

Not if you want your air brake endorsement. You can use a larger straight truck with air brakes and a construction trailer to get your class A though.

The day in 2004 I surrendered my Class A and walked out of the exam station I felt like I had left a piece of me behind.:lol:

I had a commercial license since 1974. I had renewed it twice after I could no longer qualify to drive truck. The wife said enough, let it go. Was one of the hardest things I ever did.

Not if you want your air brake endorsement. You can use a larger straight truck with air brakes and a construction trailer to get your class A though.

The day in 2004 I surrendered my Class A and walked out of the exam station I felt like I had left a piece of me behind.:lol:

I had a commercial license since 1974. I had renewed it twice after I could no longer qualify to drive truck. The wife said enough, let it go. Was one of the hardest things I ever did.

I already have the air brakes and hazmat on my class B, do I still have to use an air brake rig? I work for the railroad and we are required the B at minimum but if I get my A I can bid to material handling trucks which would get me out of the heat of welding(since I've already been down with heat this year) and into the seat of a job I've always wanted, driving them trucks! :lol:

my 1st job was at my dads job... as a mec helper a truck stop at the maryland rt 301 potomic river bridge texico i think... i got my cdl when i was old enouth to get it what was that 18 or 21 .. (we just checked the right box) what ever it was ez maybe 1970 71 im rambleing by

Guest Johnny

Heck! In Florida before the government mandated CDL you could take your driving test for a commercial license in a car that they supplied!!! Drove around a big shopping center lot. Made a left and right turn a couple stops and parallel parked between two poles hat you could have put a straight truck between!

In Wi. all I had to do was pass a written test to upgrade! Then from that point on Every different state just required their written test to change over to their state!

Heck! In Florida before the government mandated CDL you could take your driving test for a commercial license in a car that they supplied!!! Drove around a big shopping center lot. Made a left and right turn a couple stops and parallel parked between two poles hat you could have put a straight truck between!

In Wi. all I had to do was pass a written test to upgrade! Then from that point on Every different state just required their written test to change over to their state!

just for everyone!-

http://ohiovalleytruckdrivertraining.com/sounds/airhorn.wav

i was going to go but geez they want over 4 grand for me to go to school full and part time! :P but what other options do i have will someone with a little more knowledge help???? :lol:

http://www.ohiovalleytruckdrivertraining.com/

Edited by bandit1

just for everyone!-

http://ohiovalleytru...nds/airhorn.wav

i was going to go but geez they want over 4 grand for me to go to school full and part time! B) but what other options do i have will someone with a little more knowledge help???? :lol:

http://www.ohiovalle...ertraining.com/

The class I took was 5 weeks long and cost $6500 , I sold my motorcycle to cove the tuition.

Guest Johnny

The only other way would be to have a friend that is an O/O that is willing to teach you. You would have to get the learners permit by taking the written exam and then get enough seat time to pass the behind the wheel test!

That was basically how I learned.

The price has actually stayed the same for a lot of years.

I was an instructor for 2 classes during a semester. Had 4 students in each class and got paid just under 600 a week plus an extra 270 for doing a weekend class of 2 students. Can be a nerve racking job at times and the best students were the women! They didn't have that "know it all" attitude guys tend to have!:)