Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reliable Resin...stripped!!!

For those who have demanded to see Reliable Resin products "au natural"...

'70 Camaro SS with flash removed from hood opening.

100_1136-vi.jpg

Corvette roadster - I have the vacformed light covers and the lights if you want to see them.

100_1137-vi.jpg

'79 Camaro Z28

100_1138-vi.jpg

'67 Cougar before I started to build it with some window flash removed.

100_0163-vi.jpg

All of these were acquired by me in the last 18 months and are what you get NOW from Reliable Resin.

FWIW, I created the master on the '79 Z28. And I could care less if Don listed my name as the master.

I don't see a problem with any of the models you have pictured. Most of the better resin producers do clean up the castings before they ship, though.

The styrene companies have given tacit permission to copy their stuff. I have spoken to AMT and Revell guys at different times in the past and they love it. Generally you need to buy another kit from them to complete the resin piece. I won't bore everyone yet again with tedious details about this controversy but I will give you an example of how things should operate in the resin world. Jimmy Flintstone is now selling a chopped version of my center door T. Why am I not bitching and whining about it? Because he asked for permission to produce it and I gave it. Some years back CMA sold some Ferrari 250 GT SWB models with copies of Norm Vebers Ferrari engines in it. Permission to copy was asked for and received. Perhaps if Mr. Thuene had asked for my permission to produce the P/M Vette after he found out it was mine, I would have given it. I had no intention of trying to find Tim Sandvig, who still has the master, and putting it into production again. Oh Well! :?

For those who have demanded to see Reliable Resin products "au natural"...
FWIW, I created the master on the '79 Z28. And I could care less if Don listed my name as the master.

"au natural"...

oh No, the Truths Out !!!!!
I feel so exposed

No Bells No Whistles, just the Facts in those Pic's

Oh ........BTW, as many of you Real Modelers know, that Flash can be removed w/ a couple quick Strokes' on an Emery Board

I also set all my "flash" up (try at least) to make it on the Back Side of the part

Please note, what I send Marc, is a lil' on the rough side
(excess flash on misc. parts)

As this Guy has MAD SKILLS & No problem w/ it !

He did an Awesome Job w/ that 78 Camaro Z / 28
Attaching the Rear & Nose, so that the Body is a One Piece !
(anyone who's attempted this One, knows what a Pain in the Ass that is)

We also offer w/ that 78 Camaro Z / 28
CLEAR REAR TAIL LIGHTS, so that you ( the Modeler )
can Paint the Rear lights Amber & Red > leave the Clear CLEAR
( I suggest a quick coat of Clear on the outside of the lens, makes the Color POP)

It really Touches the piece off nicely :D

Thanks for Taking the time to Shot those Images & post them

Don

* ps : have you posted any of the Builds over here for the Guy's to see
i.e. the 70 1/2 Camaro ?

7881Camaroreplacementlensrear-vi.jpg

Clear Front Head Lights & Yellow Clear Markers

7881Camaroreplacementlensfront-vi.jpg

I don't see a problem with any of the models you have pictured. Most of the better resin producers do clean up the castings before they ship, though.

The styrene companies have given tacit permission to copy their stuff. I have spoken to AMT and Revell guys at different times in the past and they love it. Generally you need to buy another kit from them to complete the resin piece. I won't bore everyone yet again with tedious details about this controversy but I will give you an example of how things should operate in the resin world. Jimmy Flintstone is now selling a chopped version of my center door T. Why am I not bitching and whining about it? Because he asked for permission to produce it and I gave it. Some years back CMA sold some Ferrari 250 GT SWB models with copies of Norm Vebers Ferrari engines in it. Permission to copy was asked for and received. Perhaps if Mr. Thuene had asked for my permission to produce the P/M Vette after he found out it was mine, I would have given it. I had no intention of trying to find Tim Sandvig, who still has the master, and putting it into production again. Oh Well! :?

Andy

Honestly ( I 've already addressed this )

I had No Idea that you did the "master" & no idea who Chesse Cast was

No stone thrown here , but If you saw that body prior to my modifications

Chesse Cast was a Great name for it

I invested many , many Hours on that one piece

More that I should have , or wanted to

No disrespect ( there's enough of that going around )

This item has been out for quite some time now ,

To the best of knowledge & best can recall, prior to you getting back into Casting again

In lieu of these facts, & in a effort to keep the PEACE

May I cast this for the Modelers ?

Build ON !

Don

I just noticed something, the grille for the 79 Z28 is wrong...it is an 80/81 Z28 grille...

heres why:

1. the 79 grille would have vertical bars as well as horizontal bars to form a grid pattern. the 80/81 grilles have horizontal bars only...

2. the 79 z28 did not have a z28 emblem in the grille, only the 80/81 z's did. the 79 Z28 had a z28 decal on the nose right above the grille....

how do i know....

i have owned 2 different 1:1 79 Z28's, and 2 different 1:1 81 Z28's....and all the cars were 100% stock when i got them

otherwise, the castings look good to me, and if i was at the point where i was ready in my building talents to tackle a resin body, i would order from don..

but, i just ordered my first resin hoods yesterday, so i'm not there yet....

I just noticed something, the grille for the 79 Z28 is wrong...it is an 80/81 Z28 grille...

heres why:

1. the 79 grille would have vertical bars as well as horizontal bars to form a grid pattern. the 80/81 grilles have horizontal bars only...

2. the 79 z28 did not have a z28 emblem in the grille, only the 80/81 z's did. the 79 Z28 had a z28 decal on the nose right above the grille....

how do i know....

i have owned 2 different 1:1 79 Z28's, and 2 different 1:1 81 Z28's....and all the cars were 100% stock when i got them

otherwise, the castings look good to me, and if i was at the point where i was ready in my building talents to tackle a resin body, i would order from don..

but, i just ordered my first resin hoods yesterday, so i'm not there yet....

The grille in the pics does have the vertical bars, look a little closer. These are repops from a '79 MPC annual. MPC recycled the '78 grille which had the emblem molded in. Perhaps someday I'll tackle the challenge of mastering a new grille without the emblem. It will be a greater challenge than the non-SS grille I made for the RR '70.5 Camaro.

The grille in the pics does have the vertical bars, look a little closer. .

my bad, the first pic didnt show the bars clearly......

also, when getting the 80/81 set up, dont forget the rear flares in front of the rear tires...

and if you do get an 80/81 ready to go, it may just be my first resin body purchase, especially since keith marks has the decals already...