Model Cars Magazine Forum

snap pete project

hi everyone i have currently just started back on it and got it the first coat of paint on the pete so far i will get more pics up but this is what i have so far!

kit

pete359conventional.jpg

mockup

PICT0001.jpg

start on the engine! (yes its a cat!) :lol:

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

comments and criticism welcomed!

OH just curious does anyone have a better set of tires for this kit cause the ones that came with this one is junk!!!

Alright Sean, these kits seem pretty popular even if they are snaps! Watch those tires though... tough to mount on the wheels properly. So we have a Pete 359 with a nice Cat 3406. So the frame is going to be blue, cab is white with blue fenders. A classic combination, anything else for the trim? Stripes? Is it going to be a fleet type truck or owner/operator? Any bare metal foil to be applied on the door handles and trim moldings? This thing can be built into a pretty clean looking model. Keep it coming! :o

Alright Sean, these kits seem pretty popular even if they are snaps! Watch those tires though... tough to mount on the wheels properly. So we have a Pete 359 with a nice Cat 3406. So the frame is going to be blue, cab is white with blue fenders. A classic combination, anything else for the trim? Stripes? Is it going to be a fleet type truck or owner/operator? Any bare metal foil to be applied on the door handles and trim moldings? This thing can be built into a pretty clean looking model. Keep it coming! :blink:

i never thought of bmf'n the door handles but mmmmm.... i need to make a phone call but i think i can get a better set of tires somewhere! and as far as the stripes mmmmmm... lets just say there will be stripes but not what you think!......to be continued!....

and as far as what type of truck it is lets just say its an o/o but im not going to put any numbers or anything on it cause this was just meant to be a quickie (minus tire issue) just to have a model finished to give me the accomplishment of having one done so i can move and feel better so i can finish one more!... :angry:

Edited by bandit1

You're off to a good start. You make one, then you get an idea for another one... Then you see this real cool truck on the road and you tell yourself, "man, I can do this! It's gonna be awesome..." Then you try to figure out how to make the details and decals that aren't in the kit already. It's addictive, I tell ya. Especially when the other guys encourage you! About the tires, they are tough to get them to sit on the rims properly but it can be done. I have seen pretty decent examples of these kits. Hey, don't let go, this is an entertaining hobby!

• 2 weeks later...

well darn! paint mishap! i went to lay another coat on the top of the cab cause i was starting to see some bleed through of the plastic and well darn it started bubbling and cracking (its the same exact can i sprayed prior!) and now i need to get some fine sand paper and just sand it smooth and try another layer and if that doesnt work then ill go back to the paint shop and pick up another gloss white 96 cent can of spray paint and try again! DARN!!!

There was a post in this section quite a while back about someone having a fix for these tires. He filled them with some sort of foamy thing if I remember right; that seemed to fill them out, get them to hold shape, and fit the rims better. Last step was a thin bit of super glue/epoxy on the wheel/tire mating lip if memory serves me correct.

You must be goin to Viena cause i dont know of a Wal Mart in Marietta... :rolleyes: I was born in Parkersburg, WVa.

Oh nice build BTW I have one in the works also.

nope there is one here in marietta right next to lowes home improvement warehouse down here mattter afact right at the bottom of the hill here where i live! route 7 (pike st)

• 4 weeks later...

ill get that paint issue fixed later but right now im kind of wondering what the interior color would be for something like this combonation? i dont want to use to much blue but again...??? maybe someone has some ideas?

If it were mine, I'd go with a multi-hue gray interior with charcoal gray or black floormat or flocking to simulate carpet... Gray goes with anything... Or am I just unimaginative?...lol! Maybe a bit of blue trim or blue seat centers to tie it in with the rest of the truck...

Edited by Wagoneer81