Model Cars Magazine Forum

Transtar II steering ? And under hood insulation ?

Hello all,

I am working on a couple COE's, I thought I remembered some issue with the Transtar II front axle being too wide?? Or some other issue?? I thought I'd ask around before I find out the hard way and it looks stupid! :D

Also, what are some ideas for under hood / floor insulation? I guess what I am after would amount to BMF over real thin felt, but I don't think that would work too well.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Hey Mark, rather that narrowing the front axle which will make it very weak, try to bring the wheels in on the spindles by shortening the axle pins and recessing the area where the pins go into the wheel backs.

For undercab insulation, you can use the foil from a cigarette pack, it has a nice surface pattern. Another thing I have seen used is the thin black foam that is used to line the drawers of tool boxes. Then there's always tissue paper, dipped in a mixture of white glue and water. This will conform to all the contours on the botom side of the cab floor. After it's dry, just spray it flat black.

Hey Mark, rather that narrowing the front axle which will make it very weak, try to bring the wheels in on the spindles by shortening the axle pins and recessing the area where the pins go into the wheel backs.

For undercab insulation, you can use the foil from a cigarette pack, it has a nice surface pattern. Another thing I have seen used is the thin black foam that is used to line the drawers of tool boxes. Then there's always tissue paper, dipped in a mixture of white glue and water. This will conform to all the contours on the botom side of the cab floor. After it's dry, just spray it flat black.

Ben, Good Idea, I will fiddle aroung with the wheel pins tonight. I like the cigarette foil idea, two packs will cost more than the truck! LOL

Mark

If the transtars were like the Cargostars, loadstars, and just about anything IH built, it would have been a spray on sound-deadening/undercoating mix. IIRC, it was ashphalt based, with asbestos fibers fixed in. It has the texture of really rough bedliner. I'll check the books, but I don't think there was ever a "sheet" heat barrier, except an actual metal heat shield in specific areas.

http://www.truckpape...px?OHID=2703929&

This is the truck I am copying, not exact, but for the most part. If you look at the under cab shots, that' swhat I was referring to. It might not be factory though?

That's a SWEET lookin Transtar!!!!! If I were building it, I would get that toolbox drawer liner material and either spray it with Alclad chrome or cover it with Bare Metal Foil. The end result should look exactly like that under cab insulation.

That is added. I know of one builder that used heavy aluminum foil to replicate a similar material, or there was a product called lead foil available that was a heavier sheet that would hold its shape. Its been years since i've seen any. Bare Metal may work about the easiest, as it would have the wrinkles in it.

That truck has been on the show circuit for a couple years, I think is been for sale for almost a year. Nice truck.

I have a product that is perfect for that insulation. PM me your address, and I'll get you a good sized piece shipped out.

Jameston

Scalefinishes.com

Hi Jameston, can you post a picture of what the material looks like? I might be interested in purchasing some too if you have more?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Johnny

I've heard of guys using Wilton's baking foil for underhood insulation as well. I just use packs from my empty Marlboro boxes. Yeah, I know, I know... but at least I'm getting some return out of my habit.

I use that behind the red translucent taillight lenses.

• 3 months later...