Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show Yer Drag Racers!

SuperStockAndy

Were I to award a thread, I would award this very one.

For staying true....

For being straight [LOL]

For modeling the tougher subjects.

For being a believer in our sport of Drag Racing.

For taking the chance in this tough arena.

My hat is off to you.

I took the chance, I applaud yours.

All my personal best.

Bob Frias

Here are some of my drag cars.

post-86-0-80737700-1322930017_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-45289900-1322930042_thumb.jpg

This SS was painted with Testors light blue and then sprayed with gold pearl (mixed in clear) over the blue and it kinda looks like a light green in some ways that the light hits it and gold in other ways, and you can still see the blue. I love those pearls.

More to come.

For some reason I can't post more pics in this thread. I've tried Photobucket and directly from my computer with no luck. Bummer.

Dan

Edited by 59 Impala

I'd like to show off the ones I have photos of. These are all slot car drag cars, so forgive me. Im still a model car builder first, as I have been since I was 5 when I built my first model, a Prudhomme rear engine car that I brush painted and stuck my fingers to. There's not a tremendous amount of detail in these, as they're slot cars, but I wanted them to at least look correct, by choosing the best wheel for the type of car it is. They were all bracket cars, as they never really fit into any slot drag class. And....unfortunately, for me, they all have new homes now. Some of them never hit the slot drag strip. Without further adieu.........

Schumacher US Army T/F. Slixx decals on a Revell kit body with a stainless steel slot chassis

armydragster006.jpg

Bernstein 25th Anniversary Budweiser T/F. Revell kit body and decals. Built on a stainless steel slot chassis. The drag hemi's in both were robbed from well detailed die casts.

buddragster2.jpg

Executioner Dodge Challenger. Fictious paint scheme with half Slixx decals and half homemade. Unknown brand styrene body built on a stainless steel slot chassis.

challenger5.jpg

Andrew will recognize this one. Modelmartin resin duece funny car body with his decals, built on a stainless steel slot chassis. Colored mylar windows. GREAT casting, by the way.

dueceswild001.jpg

Styrene 66 or 67 Mustang ProMod/Top Sportsman. Slixx decals. Built on a stainless slot chassis.

mustang3.jpg

Edited by BigDaddy

Here's some more..................still all slot cars.

Another one of Andrew's bodies. Cad-attack resin 59 Caddy funny car. Another great casting built on a stainless slot chassis.

cadattack02.jpg

One of my favorites of all time. Roland Leong's Prudhomme driven Hawaiian FED. JDS styrene body with Slixx decals built on a stainless slot chassis. MAS photoetched front spoke wheels. Never shouldve sold this one.

hawaiian1.jpg

Another all-time favorite. John Milner's blown Chevy powered FED. Styrene body, homemade decals(to fit this body), MAS photoetched front wheels, all built on a piano wire homebuilt dragster chassis. Never shouldve sold this one either.

milner6.jpg

milner2.jpg

TV Tommy Ivo FED dragster. JDS styrene body, Slixx decals that dont actually match the body, all built on a JDS Slingshot drag slot chassis. MAS p/e front wheels again.

tommyivo2.jpg

More.............still all slot cars............

Fighting Irish Camaro funny car. Unknown brand resin body, Slixx decals, all built on stainless drag slot chassis. Didnt get the stance quite right with this one. Also, this body wasnt the correct model of Camaro for the Fightin' Irish car, but I used what I had, because Im a Notre Dame fan, and that's how it is !!

fightingirish2.jpg

Jukebox 57 Ford ProMod. Kit body and kit decals. Nothin special, just a drag slot car. Decals get REAL bad with age also. Had to buy two kits to get one decent sheet of decals. I think this was built on a lazer cut stainless chassis, if I remember right.

jukebox2.jpg

Christine 58 Plymouth ProMod. Kit body and kit decals. I bought this one already built, and it didnt have the correct scoop. It was just needing a bit of clean-up and a new induction system, so I added a Comp Resin blower hat and blower. Built on a piano wire slot chassis. Nothin special here either.

christine2.jpg

Fuel Coupe dragster. This was a neat little car that I bought already built. Unknown brand resin body with a piano wire slot chassis. Big injected 409 motor between the rails. The thing had WAY too much motor, and would bounce down the track. Fun little car though. Unknown decals, but cool for the theme.

fuelcoupe1.jpg

Prudhomme Army Monza. Kit body, kit decals. Built on a stainless drag slot chassis. Never got to run this one. One of my favorites though.

snakearmy2.jpg

More .........all slot cars.............

Roland Leong's Hawaiian Monza. Revell body, Slixx decals. built on a stainless slot chassis.

hawaiianmonza1.jpg

Mongoose Barracuda funny car. Polar Lights body, Slixx decals. Red mylar back window, built on a stainless slot chassis. The wheels arent correct, for the time period, but the gold looked good, and they were the only slot drag tires I had at the time !!

mcewenbarracuda1.jpg

Mongoose 57 Chevy funny car. Revell kit body, and decals. Pretty big body actually. It's 1/24th scale for sure !! Bulit on a stainless chassis. The silver paint I used for the bumpers was attacked by the clear, thus we have some wacked out silver bumpers !!!

mongoose572.jpg

Mopar Challenger ProMod. Reliable resin body, Slixx decals, with some of Sean Svendsens grill and tailpanel decals. Built on a stainless slot chassis. One of my favorite cars, and the first drag slot car I built myself. First ever resin body I built also. Shouldnt have sold it.

moparchallenger007.jpg

The Green Elephant Vega funny car. Comp Resin body, Slixx decals. Built on a stainless chassis. Didnt get the stance right on this one either.

greenelephant2.jpg

More...........slot cars still...............

McCulloch Revellution Demon funny car. Revell kit body, and decals. Built on another stainless chassis. Can ya tell I like the old skool drag cars ???

revellution001.jpg

Another of my favorites, that I NEVER shouldve sold. Warlock dragster. JDS styrene body cut down to a shorty. Slixx decals, all built on a steel piano wire dragster chassis. MAS photoetched front wheels. I would just sit and stare at this car for an hour at a time. The Two Much dragster kit has one of nicest, and easiest to detail Hemi dragster engines Ive ever seen. And there are two in each kit !!!! I only changed the blower hats. I miss this car.

warlockfeddragster002.jpg

warlockfeddragster004.jpg

Warpath Sommerset funny car. Comp Resin body, Slixx decals. Made my own rear wing and spill plates, but otherwise, just like the real car. Stainless slot chassis again. Great casting.

warpath011.jpg

Jungle Jim 63 Corvette ProMod. Fictional, but a fun one !! Unknown brand resin body, Slixx decals. Stainless chassis again.

junglejim031.jpg

Last few.............promise.............

LA Hooker Mustang funny car. Revell kit body, Slixx decals. Stainless chassis again. Didnt get the stance right on this one either. Mostly because drag slot tires are smaller than model kit tires and getting the right stance to the body makes the odd size tires amplified as they dont fill up the wheel wells. These tires are all 1 3/16 diameter by 1/2 inch wide. Model tires are at least 1 1/2 inches dia. and wider.

lahooker012.jpg

Just a shot of a typical chassis set up. Stainless steel tubing, .082 main rails. .072 wheelie bar braces. Front axle plate is stainless, as is the rear motor bracket/axle carrier. Wheelie bars are stainless bars, with aluminum wheels and o-ring tires. All soldered together with acid flux and regular solder. Silver solder can also be used. Generally, a race ready car will weigh 100 grams. They'll run a scale 1/4 in a few seconds or better, depending on motor setup. The fun for me is in the building. I dont even car if I win, or even run the cars. Just building is plenty fun for me.

fightingirish8.jpg

Well.......that's it. These are the only models I have photos of. I prefer to use actual model car bodies, either styrene or resin, as opposed to the lexan slot bodies. Nothing beats the actual look of a drag car. Alot of that is lost in the lexan bodies.

Thanks for looking.........have a great rest of the weekend everyone !!!