Model Cars Magazine Forum

GMC Astro & Peerless Logger question

Mark Savage built a GMC Astro logger using the AMT Peerless Log Trailer back in the 1970s. There's a picture of it in the stowed position in "Collecting & Building Model Trucks" by Lou Kroack. I've also seen this trailer stowed on the Freightliner COE. So, yes, it should work; though you might have to adjust the headache rack a little.

You might need to stretch the frame a bit for the trailer to sit right on the cabover.

COE loggers were used. I've seen photos of Petes, KW's, White-Freightliners, Macks, GMC's, Hayes, etc all COE's, some sleepercab, some non-sleeper. They all had long wheelbases and most had overhanging frame rails aft of the drive axles.

I'd say add an 2 inches (actual length) to the frame between the fuel tanks and the rear suspension and you'll have enough room.

Tim

yes it will work in the stowed position with the sleeper on with no need to extend the frame. I recently built a white frieghtliner as a logger and have put it up on the deck, even with mine being an extended stinger on the trailer it still works in the stowed position.

Chad