Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nader's Nightmare

Psychographic

Thanks for all the compliments!

I was dreading this step since the beginning of the build. The headers for this were a royal pain to build and for some reason I just knew I was going to screw them up when it came time to mount them.

So far,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was wrong, the first side went on easy as pie. Now if I didn't just jinx myself for the other side.

P9170094.jpg

I'm running out of things to do on this.

Edited by Psychographic

I should of kept my mouth shut about the headers. The other side wasn't as agreeable as the first, but it wasn't too bad.

The roof is sanded and polished, so now I can Alclad the ribs and flock the underside.

P9170099.jpg

Tomorrow the body gets sanded and buffed, then I can paint and flock the underside.

I need to find some taillights for this thing, PRONTO. I want it done by Sunday.

Edited by Psychographic

I am really enjoying this build,I have a 1:1 first gen Corvair and would love to do the rear bumper/lic. set up to mine.......SWEET!!!

BE CAREFUL if you decide to do this with your 1:1 car. This model doesn't need an air exhaust grille for cooling air to have a place to go once it's done it's job. Your car does. That license plate pocket takes up a lot of space under the bumper area, even supposing you were to flank it with an exit of some sort for the cooling air. You really should consider a good way to vent that air before blocking the area that was designed to do it. I agree that this treatment looks great, but 30 years of Corvair ownership tells me that it wouldn't work out so well on a Corvair that you'd want to actually drive. Maybe if you were to drop the lower shrouds and forego a working heater/defroster (assuming you don't have a gas heater in your car... ) it would work out OK. I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but I do want to point out the practicalities to help keep your car alive.

BE CAREFUL if you decide to do this with your 1:1 car. This model doesn't need an air exhaust grille for cooling air to have a place to go once it's done it's job. Your car does. That license plate pocket takes up a lot of space under the bumper area, even supposing you were to flank it with an exit of some sort for the cooling air. You really should consider a good way to vent that air before blocking the area that was designed to do it. I agree that this treatment looks great, but 30 years of Corvair ownership tells me that it wouldn't work out so well on a Corvair that you'd want to actually drive. Maybe if you were to drop the lower shrouds and forego a working heater/defroster (assuming you don't have a gas heater in your car... ) it would work out OK. I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but I do want to point out the practicalities to help keep your car alive.

Trust me I understand about the blocking of the lower grille area,just as I been a "Bug Junkie" for 30+ years,understanding that "Air Suckers" don't spring leaks,but they sure need their air!!!!......also the fact I would have to redo the deck latch and rear panel........I am more interested in the rear bumper-ette set up.......as far as heat n such in my "FrankenVair" its all blocked off....but in all honesty I probably will never get that far with the car,its just a driver fun toy......if anything we will probably Rat Rod it ;) ..........but no Buzzkill here..... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...