Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

eBay question

Ok, I got an interesting situation here..........I need to ship a package to someone in Canada. I wanted to send the package via UPS today, since the postal service is shut down today due to it being Columbus Day.

The person at UPS tells me that they need a phone number to ship packages internationally. Is there a way to find out the person's phone number on eBay? PayPal didn't give me their number when the invoice came in showing that they had paid.

I emailed the buyer, but didn't get a response............if worse comes to worst, I could simply wait until tomorrow and send it via the USPS. I was trying to get it out today though as I'm about to head of town for the next 10 days or so. BTW, I don't remember the USPS requiring phone #'s when shipping out of the country. It's been awhile since I sent something out of the USA, but I've not had to do this the last time.

Has this changed as well?

Thanks in advance folks for any tips you could give me. ;)

For the financial good of the purchaser, DON'T send it to Canada via UPS. The brokerege fees for him/her will be at least an extra $30.00 for them to get

their parcel. Is better to wait until tomorrow and send it USPS. Cheaper for you and them also in the long run. When I used to buy from Ebay I always asked NOT

to send via UPS or FED-EX. because of extra fees.

Well, the fly in the ointment is that I won't be here tomorrow to send it out via USPS. I already sent it to UPS to be shipped-------didn't know that UPS charged such fees! :(

I did send him an email letting him know of the situation...............I never did hear back from him. If I get nicked with neutral feedback so be it. I'm not that big a fan of eBay anymore as their fees keep going up and up. I won't be doing much business with them in the future if at all because of that.

There is always emodelcars!!

Yeah! I was gonna use Gregg's site, but I wanted to get the most that I could out of it since I knew it would go for a good amount.

The model in question you're wondering? It was Danbury Mint's 1/12 scale 1964½ Mustang Convertible. The model had some issues, but I'm satisfied what I got out of it.

For lesser models in the future, I'll definitely be looking at eModelcars!

I've received a shipment of models by UPS without having been dinged for brokerage fees. I have had the opposite happen, though...for a gift no less! That was a few years ago now and was an old tin toy (rusted and only three wheels on it!) and I got dinged for brokerage/Customs fees. Maybe the Free Trade Agreement has had some adjustments?? Could be that UPS may have changed their policy due to complaints in the past about the exorbitant fees? Hopefully it all works out for the good! Let us know how it goes, Bill. Could be a good bit of knowledge!

The interesting thing about this auction is that I've never gotten so many questions in an auction before about this particular model! It was crazy!

I've had questions from folks as far away as Thailand, and even had a fellow from Russia that almost won it, but was beaten by a dollar from the guy in Canada at the last second.

I even made a quick video of the model so that there were no questions about some of the problems the model had.................

Please excuse the scratchy/stuffy nosed voice as I was just getting over the flu when I did this. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

Bill, another stupid rule I have found that the postal system requires when you send something to Canada is that the entire address of the sender and recipient has to be in all capitol letters. As in: JOHN SMITH, HERE THERE , CANADA.

Mmmmm, haven't noticed that issue yet and I've mailed quit a few things to Canada.

Ask Nick.. :D

I found out the hard way, I had three boxes all labled and ready to go and after standing in line at the post office for twenty minutes, I got to the counter and was told that I had to redo every label in all caps.