Model Cars Magazine Forum

while I was reading this months issue of MCM I noticed a Painting tip by Jairus Watson. It referred to a psychodelic paintjob. My question is I just tried this and it didnt work. Is there a special type of paint u have to use with the water? I tried it with Model Master Acrylics and it didnt work. Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Ben

Ben, If you can get a hold of an old "Car Model" magazine from March 1972, there's a better article on how to do this type of painting.

Instead of using bottled paints, try spray painting thin coats over the water. Just remember to layer the colors backwards to your intended scheme.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I do plan on trying it out one day.

Jairus is right, anything other than enamels with merely seperate and build up on the edges of the container you are using. Also it doesn't really matter how you layer the paints if you spray it on because once you swirl the paint it will all be mixed together anyway. After all, that is the focus on this process.

One other thing not mentioned in the article. Have a hair dryer handy and plugged in. After you pull the body from the paint hit it with the hair dryer to help remove any built up water bubbles. Use a medium to cool setting and it will blow away much of the excess buildup of water trapped by the paint.

I remember some friends doing a similar psychedelic paint job on a 1:1 car with a box fan. They had painted the area with white as the base and then used different colors "dripped" in front of the box fan to give a blown and splattered look. It definitely had a textured look to it but the results were very cool looking , at least at the time I thought so!

I have been wanting to try this approach with some old scrap bodies and odds and ends of paint and just might have to put it on the list.

Mike Scheve

One other scheme that I tried just recently was to perform this technique but only on certain panels of the model. For instance, paint your model whatever color you intend it to be and then mask off for rally stripes, for example.

Lay down a thin coat of clear over the area to be painted so that no paint bleeds through your mask and then paint a new base color. When this is dry then perform the "swirladelic technique". After the paint is dry enough remove your mask and you have swirled rally stripes.

I would show you the results but I am in the process of moving and everything is packed away. After I am settled I will shoot some pics. to show. This is just one example. There are plenty of different ways that you could pull off this look.

you mean to tell me that was for real?

i thought it was an april fools joke, and if you dont mind me saying so, not a very good one.

that model that was shown "after" looked destined for the dumpster.

oh well, i guess you double-april-fooled me.

:shock:

It was a double April Fool indeed.

I'm glad it was taken that way.

I wish I knew about the old CM artlcle from way back when.

Friend of mine told me about this technique, and Jairus was the artist-in-charge for the article/gag.

I have yet to try it

I also want and will be doing an article on the crinkle-style paint job that looks so cool on customs.

so i completely killed a new camaro body over an April fools joke. Thats actually pretty funny. my body is trashed but oh well

While they may have seen that paint syle as a joke, there are many aplications for that techique, so it is still something worth learning. as far as trashing the body, it can always be stripped and repainted if it didn't come out the way you wanted it to.

It wasn't a joke

It was a double April Fools

I had hoped (and I think it worked) that some people would think that it was too crazy to be real, but in fact it is real, and it works.

It's no joke, it's more of a sratch-your-head kind of thing.

It wasn't a joke

It was a double April Fools

I had hoped (and I think it worked) that some people would think that it was too crazy to be real, but in fact it is real, and it works.

It's no joke, it's more of a sratch-your-head kind of thing.

Dude, you are so making my brain hurt!!! :shock:

My only problem with your way Ken is that you trap water between the paint and the body. I am not sure that there is a best way when the variables are soo random, example: paint thickness, swirl patterns, body size and shape. It's a crazy way to customize a model!

:wink:

• 2 weeks later...