Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foreign Vehicle build (Started)

martinfan5

not much just a shade. I'll post pix when i make new bird decals. The glue on the kit oneschunked and silvered so much it was more like "whited". After work i have to clean my computer room anyhow, so after that i'll work on new ones.

I like that gt skyline . Is ther one with those decals or do you have to make them.Also is there any new thigs with the aoshima r35? I think that may be my tamiya r35 may be on the block soon . I just have to order my resin conversion.

Edited by hotrod59f100

I actually did a little work last night on the Lambo. Been a little distracted lately with a medical crisis, but am trying to get back on track now. I'll try and do a little more tonight and post up a pick tomorrow !! :wacko:

That prancing horse is lookin slick Jonathan !!! :P

Edited by ffreak

OK guys, back on the horse. I got the headlight assemblies done and installed, the lenses painted Tamiya clear orange as per the GT class, and the front grill mesh painted and installed. Next up will be the rear details !! :rolleyes:062-vi.jpg057-vi.jpg

That is just looking great, it has mean look to it from the front

Well I have not so good news to share with the F430, I decided to A/B the clear coat , well its now covered in debris, all over, its shiny though. So I am trying to figure out what do to

Ouch... well, since it's just in the clear coat, you should be able to carefully wetsand it enough to get it out and then just re-clear. You might be able to salvage the color coats long as you dont go through into the color and primer !! Worth a try, worst case, you'd have to re-shoot it again anyway. :blink:

Ouch... well, since it's just in the clear coat, you should be able to carefully wetsand it enough to get it out and then just re-clear. You might be able to salvage the color coats long as you dont go through into the color and primer !! Worth a try, worst case, you'd have to re-shoot it again anyway. :blink:

Thats that my hold up, I am all out of the paint, and dont want to waste a good deal I got, I know this may sound strange, but I might do a few more coats, then try and wet sand, I am still bad at wet sanding, so I need a few more coats of a buffer

The more clear you put on, the more your gonna have to wetsand back off. The trick is to lightly wetsand just enough for the dirt particles to release from the layers below it.. ... Sometimes that can come down to just 2 or 3 strokes with the paper to make the difference. When i'm spraying and something lands in it, I stop right there. Let it dry, and get it right outa there with sandpaper. This is especially easy with laquers. I've wetsanded within a half hour before, cleaning the grit or hairs, and re-shooting right away. Burying the flaws in the clear has never worked for me anyway... my two cenths worth.. for what it helps !! :wacko:

It does, I decided to try and wetsand it without adding anymore coats, and the debris was covered enough by the clear that 2000 grit wasnt working, 800 did, but it scratch it way to much, so going to try and strip the clear coat, and save the paint job. But I am out of that shade, so I am not sure what I am going to do at this point.

I did try go over it 12000 , but that only helped a little bit, use scratch x but again only worked a little bit

And while doing it, I remove the paint down to the primer on the engine hatch

And it looked really good too

sSig_censored.gifsFun_banghead2.gifsFun_explosive.gif

Edited by martinfan5

how about a wetsand, mask job with a really thin masking tape so u dont get that raised edge going on, then reclear just that area?

I could do that, but sratched the roof up to much to make it look good, and not thinking,I wetsanded all the body that had debris , so I really sSig_censored.gif myself :lol: , I think I just need to stick with pre painted bodys from now on :o

My " go to " grit is 1500, and patience !!! It takes a bit of time, but not too coarse to scratch up too bad. I may go up to 2,000 or down to 1,000 depending on how much paint I have on there, the sharp edges and such. But the 1500 is middle of the road for me anyway. Scuderia makes a valid point also. I've learned on sharp edges to use Tamiya 6mm masking tape, do the sanding, remove the tape and use polish to even out the finish and blend it in. One of my best friends has a motto, " there's a lesson in every kit " !!!