Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for a set of spoked front wheels and maybe tires for a Dragula build.

I used that same tutorial from StraightlineModeler.com. It works pretty good actually. I had seen another tutorial on a different site, but even they suggested the straightline tutorial.

The only difference being that I carved my own wheel "hoops" out of .063 styrene. Just use a circle template and cut out with curved tip scissors. Cutting as close to my template line as possible gave me a round enough shape to start with. Then I drilled a hole in the very center of each circle I cut. Taking two circles at a time, I chucked them up in a dremel with a regular dremel arbor/mandrel. The kind that the cutoff wheels are held onto, with a screw. I spun them at a medium speed with a sanding stick to true them up to each other. That way, I had two "hoops" that were the same diameter. Since it takes two "hoops" to make one wheel. I also ground a rounded groove between the two hoops for the o-ring "tire" to sit in, using a round mini-file. Then I enlarged the center hole that I drilled and slowly augured it out with a dremel sanding drum, to the right inside diameter that I wanted. Going slowly here on a medium speed is important. Otherwise, the dremel will just melt the plastic or zoom it right out of your fingers into la la land.

After getting 4 hoops, I had the wheel halves, and could go on with lacing them with the styrene spokes. I also tried .013 beading wire, which works good, but you have to use superglue to attach them. I found that the styrene .010 rod works better and Tenax wont glue my fingers together !

Following the tutorial for making the hubs and lacing the wheels, I ended up with a nice set of scale motorcycle type wheels for my FED's. The only reason I made my own hoops, to get the diameter I wanted. Ive always thought the kit wheels were too small of a diameter. I ended up with 7/8ths inch outside diameter wheels. It takes a bigger o-ring, but found them at Ace Hardware for .79 each.

Sprayed with Alclad, they cut the mustard just fine.

Just my experience and method of doing it. Not perfect yet, but I was happy that I had something more prototypical than what comes in the kits. Unfortunately, it's rather an involved process and takes time. If you used the kit hoops, as the tutorial does, it may not take as long.