Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW CRAZY ABOUT GASSERS ARE YOU?

Well Doc....modeling is a personal activity and as such we are all certainly free to build whatever the heck floats our boats right? But IMHO, if you want to build a phantom gasser, that would mean to me that the car would built as a true gasser and conform to what a real gasser is supposed to be...but with made up markings. In other words...it's the markings that make it the phantom. If the model is not a correctly built gasser, independant of the markings, then it's not a phantom gasser...it's just a complete phantom something or other. But that's just my opinion.... ;)

I am a semi psychotic person. Normally I like my rides low, loud and fast. But there is something about the front end in the air over a sraight axle, a massive powerplant, monster slicks, and a crazy paint job that makes me feel good and evil inside.

Edited by Jesse D

Well, it wasn't EYEGORE, that's for sure. Of course it was you. YOU! Now I got the glossy Gasser fever raging, and I got the two Willys painted and drying.

Okay ! Guilty as charged ! Lmao ! I've been blamed for worse things in my life !

Yes ! They can all be Gassers if you want them to be as such , nothing in the rules says that they can't be ! Main reason being .... Your shop , your models , your rules , Es Verdad ?

I build as I see them , as I would want them to look if they belonged to me. Jimbo says that I am an irreverent styled builder , no subject is sacred , nor do the rules apply .... Ever !

Where I grew up , I was surrounded by gearheads , horsepower was the ultimate high ! It was explained to me as such by a veteran gasser driver ....." Kid , it's a combination of two things " . " The first is the SS Factor , the second is the pure adrenaline surge ". " Combine the two , what a rush " !

I can relate ! Lol ! That Mustang I sent the picture of ? Wooohooo ! I will never grow up !

Oh by the way , you're welcome ! Greetings from the Shiny Side of the Street ! Pretty , ain't it ?

Promise me that she won't find that return address !!!!!!

I'm looking up at all my kits on the shelves thinking they are ALL GASSERS! LOL!

Who cares if they were ever built in 1:1, if it looks cool to you & makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, that's all that matters, right?

That's one of the great things about this hobby, you can do all sorts of crazy things in scale that you'd never consider or be able to afford in 1:1 :o

IMG_32502.jpg

The bullet-nose Studes were done as Gassers, but this is a stretch ;)

IMG_50312.jpg

Dear Dr. Cranky, I had the fever so bad that the models on my bench could not keep the fire down, so the next thing I knew I was in the garage yanking all the front end parts ( new disc brakes conversion) out of my 1:1 64 falcon and sold it on craigs list to make room for the solid axle from an econo line and big block from a LTD. As mentioned before, the book "gasser wars" is a great place to start. You can make almost anything into one that you can think of, although not all would be as effective in real life as the older short wb coupes of yester years. But I guess thats where the " style" comes in and just says its "COOL"

I dont have a good camera at this time but on my bench is a 70 boss 429 mustang getting the solid treatment..... feels good to be sick.

Edited by moparmagiclives

Who cares if they were ever built in 1:1, if it looks cool to you & makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, that's all that matters, right?

That's one of the great things about this hobby, you can do all sorts of crazy things in scale that you'd never consider or be able to afford in 1:1 :o

IMG_32502.jpg

The bullet-nose Studes were done as Gassers, but this is a stretch ;)

IMG_50312.jpg

indeed

camaro_gasser_by_esoteric787-d3k5sbo.jpg

I have only ever built the Rat Packer Chevy II gasser. But I sure did get the fires stoked to do another. Very close to the top of my next build list is a kit bash of the Revell 1/24 '53 Chevy and the Tom Daniels Monogram Badman '55, with the engine from the Revell '67 Chevelle pro-streeter. It's either going to be a primered up budget racer or a very shiny street freak. I am really looking forward to it.

Just a short note about the source of the link to the straight axle information. The Straight Line Modelers is a hardcore group of modelers who are interested in modeling drag cars and other straight liners "correctly." In other words, accuracy is one of the prime interests of what we do. Correct class markings, accurate equipment for the class, etc etc...things like that. You won't fit in there if it's okay with you to build something that's obviously highly modified and you put some kind of made up class marking on it. (not including an accurately built phantom with made up but correct markings) Or you build what is clearly an altered but you call it and mark it a gasser. You will however find some of the finest builders in the hobby on the SLM. The knowledge base that is available there is superb because these guys have actually raced these cars and they know what they're talking about. We in the SLM have been called snobs for a few reasons. Guys join and try to post stuff that is not of the straight line variety and they get called out on it. Guys join and post a modified car and call it a stocker, etc etc. and get called out on it. What I'm saying is that the guys who frequent the SLM are into accuracy, so sometimes when someone new joins and is not into accuracy, they get offended when called out on their innaccurate models and leave in a huff. Then they bad mouth the SLM as Elitists or something like that. Well that is true...they are I guess. But they make no bones about it. So if you really want to learn about drag cars and build accurate drag cars, then the SLM is the best group to be a member of. But if your style of building is of the "looks like a gasser to me" or "who cares, I like it!"..then the SLM is not for you.

I only mention this so that anyone who views the link and thinks, "Hey that stuff is cool...I'd like to join the SLM", will be forewarned up front what the group is all about. Here is the link to the group, in case you think you are hardcore enough to fit in... :Dhttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/StraightLineModeler/

This is the only "gasser" I have in the collection so far. Don't know if it's a true gasser or not,but I built it just for fun to get over a slump I was having at the time. I changed the front tires out after this photo because they looked a little too big.

2008_0822Image0001.jpg