Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW CRAZY ABOUT GASSERS ARE YOU?

Who cares if they were ever built in 1:1, if it looks cool to you & makes you feel all warm & fuzzy inside, that's all that matters, right?

That's one of the great things about this hobby, you can do all sorts of crazy things in scale that you'd never consider or be able to afford in 1:1 :o

The bullet-nose Studes were done as Gassers, but this is a stretch ;)

That Stude gasser of your's is just way too kewl. Has it gotten any further yet?

Just a short note about the source of the link to the straight axle information. The Straight Line Modelers is a hardcore group of modelers who are interested in modeling drag cars and other straight liners "correctly." In other words, accuracy is one of the prime interests of what we do. Correct class markings, accurate equipment for the class, etc etc...things like that. You won't fit in there if it's okay with you to build something that's obviously highly modified and you put some kind of made up class marking on it. (not including an accurately built phantom with made up but correct markings) Or you build what is clearly an altered but you call it and mark it a gasser. You will however find some of the finest builders in the hobby on the SLM. The knowledge base that is available there is superb because these guys have actually raced these cars and they know what they're talking about. We in the SLM have been called snobs for a few reasons. Guys join and try to post stuff that is not of the straight line variety and they get called out on it. Guys join and post a modified car and call it a stocker, etc etc. and get called out on it. What I'm saying is that the guys who frequent the SLM are into accuracy, so sometimes when someone new joins and is not into accuracy, they get offended when called out on their innaccurate models and leave in a huff. Then they bad mouth the SLM as Elitists or something like that. Well that is true...they are I guess. But they make no bones about it. So if you really want to learn about drag cars and build accurate drag cars, then the SLM is the best group to be a member of. But if your style of building is of the "looks like a gasser to me" or "who cares, I like it!"..then the SLM is not for you.

I only mention this so that anyone who views the link and thinks, "Hey that stuff is cool...I'd like to join the SLM", will be forewarned up front what the group is all about. Here is the link to the group, in case you think you are hardcore enough to fit in... :Dhttp://groups.yahoo....ghtLineModeler/

Rules are rules and there is nothing snobbish or elitist about them.

"Back in the day" the gasser class was called: Gas Coupes & Sedans so therefore there were NO roadsters, convertibles, or anything topless in that class PERIOD!

Is that because they didnt want them running?,...Or because the abundance of roadsters just wasnt there so they didnt need to include them? The "Silver Dollar" was a very successful gasser and it was a pick-up. Where does that one fit in?

Back in the day? I guess that depends on how far back you consider, "in the day". The class was called Gas Coupes/Sedans and Street Roadsters in the late 60's. The class designation was A/SR, B/SR, etc. and was still considered part of the gasser clases with the same overall rules with a few extra safety ones in there for the roofless cars. Here's the 1970 NHRA Rulebook page... Notice the title....

pg3031-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Terry Sumner

Here's a link to my Fotki page with the gasser rules from NHRA in 1970. There weren't many changes in the few years prior to that and the late 60's was the height of the gas class activity.

Hope this helps you! :o)

Terry

Did I miss the link?