Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood Pt 2

Mercman

Finally got back to this one again. I sighted in the sidewalks.

MR002.jpg

Even found some drain outlets, still have to place manholes yet.

MR004.jpg

Got the streets, and parking lanes scribed in.

MR006.jpg

Asphalted the alley. This stuff is great for simulating asphalt. Nice and gritty. Hope I can find more. I've had this can for 10 years, and its sstill good.

MR005.jpg

MR009.jpg

Then a base coat for the pavement.

MR007.jpg

Okay I started looking at he building a bit closer, and realized I needed more room. Not enough for a kitchen. So I built this skeleton out of 1/8th inch plexiglass.

CB003-1.jpg

CB001.jpg

Have to add the exterior to it yet.

CB004.jpg

Also got some done on the interior.

CB003-2.jpg

The doors to the kitchen area are also plexi, with the covering from a AAA Car decal.

CB004-1.jpg

Windows were made using a paper punch. Have a couple of walls yet to finish, along with some curtains I am working on for the upper windows, and the stools. Then Its into the building.

Wow!!! My eyes won't focus! That's some wild 60's decorating! Were we really exposed to that..... I don't remember, so I guess I must have been having a good time?

Tony

Yeah they say if can remember the 60's you weren't really there. I lived in a few places where we decorated like that. Lots of day- glo, and black light paint on the walls.

Just about done with the new addition. Got the walls up, and the roof ready The roofing material I will use a piece of sand paper.

CB002-3.jpg

Outside front, and side wall. I used a body skin for a Pine Car Derby kit.

CB005-1.jpg

Making some stools for the counter. Used a paper punch, and some square brass tube for the supports. These will be glued to sequin pins I installed from the bottom.

CB006.jpg

Finished the walls in side.

CB009.jpg

You can see the pins in the above shot.

Finished the interior for the cafe.

CB001-3.jpg

Decided to light it up also. The one bulb fell through a bit lower, but they are not permanent yet.

CB003-4.jpg

Some outside detailing going on. Looks like someone tagged the side of the building. Hey Jim, do you know where Myron is hiding? This looks like his work.

CB001-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It's really coming together nicely. One trick I used with HO scale buildings... that you may want to consider(?)... is a way to get mortar lines in brickwork when the plastic is brick color. Give the whole surface a coat of off white or light gray acrylic paint. When it's dry, scrape the surface of the sheet, the bricks will be exposed and the mortar will stay in the joints. I used either coarse sandpaper or blunt exacto knife. Experiment on a spare piece first to get the texture you want. Probably something you already knew, but maybe it might help other diarama builders? Tony

Edited by GTMust

It's really coming together nicely. One trick I used with HO scale buildings... that you may want to consider(?)... is a way to get mortar lines in brickwork when the plastic is brick color. Give the whole surface a coat of off white or light gray acrylic paint. When it's dry, scrape the surface of the sheet, the bricks will be exposed and the mortar will stay in the joints. I used either coarse sandpaper or blunt exacto knife. Experiment on a spare piece first to get the texture you want. Probably something you already knew, but maybe it might help other diarama builders? Tony

Tony I did do that, it just got washed out a bit.

Junior...that is lookin great !!!!

Thanks Vaughn it was fun. More to come yet have 8 more buildings for the block.

• 1 month later...

Started another building for the neighborhood, this one will be a Art Gallery.Got the main walls in on the first floor, and got the second floor glued in, and leveled.

ArtG001.jpg

ArtG002.jpg

Then I started thing the inde of the roof I keep forgetting to detail. So I cleaned up the sides,

ArtG003.jpg

and cut some brick shhet to do the inside of the walls.

ArtG004.jpg

Next it was onto the roof . I wanted something that wouldn't warp with time, so used another 1/8th piece of plexi-glass. It's actually level.

ArtG005.jpg

Had to retrim the back just a hair, and then will add a 1/2 round piece to the edge. Got to go to the LHS for more stock.

ArtG006.jpg

Finally tried out the lighting on the second floor, this is with only 2 bulbs, there will be 4-5 total when done.

ArtG007.jpg

On the second floor I will be doing smaller rooms, 1-2 just as a point of interest. I have a few thoughts floating around in my head, but open to suggestions.

Definitely add the canopy... that's a great addition! I love how this is coming along.

Tony

Ps... just a small thought... how do you get up to the second floor? Elevator and stairs? (picky... picky!)

Edited by GTMust

Definitely add the canopy... that's a great addition! I love how this is coming along.

Tony

Ps... just a small thought... how do you get up to the second floor? Elevator and stairs? (picky... picky!)

Tony if you look to the right, and left of the main door they is 2 smaller doors. Just haven't gotten to the steps yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Really nice work Junior. Love the completed street scene. As an "X" model railroader I really appreciate what your doing. For what it's worth, aesthetically "A" got my vote.

Most of the buildings in A will be incorporated. I have at least 20 started so have a load to choose from. Just made a trade for another 15 buildings. Running out of room almost. :P