Model Cars Magazine Forum

bleed through

hi i am painting a previously built ertl ih transtar it was molded in red ,painted yellow and now is white. i primed it with auto sandable primer and am using testors white spray, but the red is bleeding through. it has gotten worse since it was painted on 12/4/11. any thoughts?

i had the same thing happen with an amt snapfast dodge dually that was molded in red...everything was going well until i sprayed white primer on it to check a few things and it turned pink.

what you'll need to do is use a primer sealer. I've heard of some guys using future as a sealer but have not personally done it.

i went as far as reshooting black primer on it and clearing it just to make sure...but the primer sealer should alleviate you of the red bleeding through.

hope this help.

happy building

i've never had any bleed probs with PlastiCote sandable primers...T235, T236, T237, T234[?]

grey, white, black, red...these are a good barrier for lacquers on plastic... srsly, with the grey, never had a bleed prob....

i just sprayed it about an hour ago and it looks the same as before this will be the third time i have stripped it. ive been building for years and never had a problem like this . i have never had problems like this with full size cars even. shame on ertl for molding the kit in red.

hi everybody, i stripped it clear down to the red and painted it silver then a coat of gray sealer thenflat black then sealer again in very strong light i cannot see red so hopefully this works i am going to spray white this weekend. THANKS for all your help. hopefully i can post some pics when its done.