Model Cars Magazine Forum

The latest from the Timbilt factory #11

I started with a resin Peterbilt 362 cab from Spaulding Trading and Shipping, a Paystar chassis and a big sheet of plastic that was a Wendy's restuarant breakfast muffin sign.

362SFBAinprog5807.jpg

I reworked the resin cab from a 90" BBC to a 76" small sleeper and reworked the lower panels for a SBFA.

362_SBFA_inpr_5807.jpg

I stretched the Paystar chassis, reworking a few things to give it a Peterbilt look where visible.

362SBFApainted.jpg

The above shot shows everything in primer. The wireline body was made from a big sheet of styrene. I cut it to the shape of a custom wireline body (used for oil well drilling inspection). The body is 6 pieces, front, sides, bottom, rear and roof.

362SBFA_chassis.jpg

Above shows the 362 pretty much ready to accept the wireline body.

362SBFAcabrear.jpg

The rear view shows the exhaust and aircleaner set-up. The air cleaner snorkle intake is from an AMT GMC Astro95. The muffler is from an Italeri 377. The engine is a Cummins from an AMT PB 359. The battery box is scratchbuilt as is the exhaust rack.

362SBFA_wireline1.jpg

Mostly finished in this view, only needing a company name and some more dirt.

362SBFAwireline.jpg

362SBFAwireline_Side.jpg

The photo below lists some of the modifications made to build the model.

362SBFA_wirelinestuff.jpg

362_SBFA_tandem.jpg

Two 362 heavies, the SBFA wireline unit and a tandem steer nitrogen pump that I built in '04.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Tim,

I've said this to you a hundred times, your models just truly amaze me. When you add an utility body of some sort..it just elevates it to another level.

Your passion and attention to details, drives me in my quest to at least finish a project. Thank you for the inspiration.....

Nice build

Kurt McLucas

Fantastic build again Tim...I believe the only challenge left for you is to make a set back axle cabover car carrier....

Tim, as always truly amazing stuff that you create!

Bigtruck - Not so sure about the last challenge for Tim as he still hasn't built one of those Pete "Rock Slingers" yet either. :lol:

Tim,

Superb! Another great piece of Model Engineering. Certainly different from the average box stock. There's a lot of talk about the price of kits these days and justifiably so!!! When you look at the trucks on this forum and the innovation, ideas, the skill, the craftsmanship it makes you wonder why you would pay some of the ridiculous prices seen.

Exceptional Workmanship!!

Well Done Tim.

Tim,

PS With regards to possible, future builds I was looking through your photo's on your Web Site. One truck that interested me was the one shown below.

JimOvermohle383_6X6_01.jpg

According to the caption, it was designed by Jim Overmohle, it is a Pete 383 6 X 6 designed in 1966 which was exported to Hawaii. This looks an excellent contender for a future build and certainly one which i am planning in the future.

Would this have been a tractor or a straight truck? It has quite a hefty transmission and PTO system what was it designed for? And were any other 383's built?

Many Thanks

Dave

The 383 was used in the sugar cane industry in Hawaii. There were many 383s built. Always big beasty things.

Interestingly, Jim did the 383 and 20 years later did the 357-123 flat fender seen in his photo here.

jimovermohle357BF_03.jpg

The 357 was a glider kit being sent to Hawaii for rebuilding of older sugar cane trucks.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the Info. I really like the look of the 383 its so unusual and differant and would certainly be a challenge. I like the look of the 357 looks a bit like the RG Alaskan Hauler. I notice in another discussion about the RG Alaskan hauler its actually closest to a 353 or should be.

Was the 353 a 359 with Pit Fenders and butterfly hood or was it a unique truck model on its own?

I am looking at my next truck build and thinking of building both the Kenworth and a Peterbilt Alaskan Hauler together as a pair both in the same colour scheme and both as Heavy Haulers with Cummins KTA 600 engines. (My Alaskan hauler will be built as a 353.)

After seeing the standards of the builds and the craftsmanship at work on this forum I feel inspired.

Thanks Again.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

The 353 (which replaced the 351 flat fender SBFA) was a model unique to itself. The standard specs were "heavier" than 359. Different radiator/grille/crown, butterfly hood, flat fenders (not diamond tread, but painted with anti-skid black on the top). SFFA 353 had its own headlight brackets too (taller to clear the fender). 353 also had a BBC of 117" where 359 was 113", 119" and 127".

Tim

Many Thanks Tim,

Hmmm!!! That gives me something to think about. I was going to put the Cummins KTA 600 in the Pete but with a BBC of 117" on the 353 would it fit? Or is it better to build a heavy duty 357, but again would a Cummins KTA fit in this? I bought a Pete Alaskan Hauler to go with my KW Alaskan Hauler last Saturday so it will take a few days to arrive. At present I,m busy messing around with an Autocar twin steer heavy duty dump truck and will complete this before I start the Pete and KW. So I have plenty of time to Plan the truck, I'm keen to build them as a pair in the same livery and with the same running gear. Its just a question of which Peterbilt model? Out of interest does anyone know what the model type of the Kenworth Alaskan Hauler from AMT is?

Thanks again Tim, your knowledge and help is second to none.

Many Thanks