Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about New Coyote 5.0 Engine

I was looking for some good block-only pics, but they seem to be almost non-existent without going into the many Mustang forums. While the bore spacing is the same between the Coyote and the modular family, not much else is the same. Firing order changed (back to the Flathead firing order from the 351 firing order), front timing cover became structurally ribbed for strength, the 5.0 received piston squirters, head bolt location/configuration changed.......

If you are building a model that will be installed deep into the kit, you could start with the 4.6/5.4 blocks currently available and make the needed changes to the heads/valve covers/front dress/intake, as that is what will be seen in detail anyway.

Edited by whale392

Gee, Lane, I don't know what's up with Revell. But maybe I can venture an educated guess, actually knowing a little about the REAL cars. Since the body is pretty much the same between the 2010 and its' later year brothers, why not do it with the 4.6L first. Let's see, the 201GT uses the 4.6L 3-valve, the GT500 still uses the 5.4L Supercharged mill............yup, sounds like Revell actually did their homework on this. They can get two more releases using the new body with the 4.6L/5.4L drivetrain before having to kit up the new 5.0L drivetrain. And, considering the 2013 GT500 will have a powertrain STILL BASED ON THE 5.4L (but will now be up to 5.8L), there is yet ONE MORE derivitive of this kit before new tooling is required. I am glad Revell listens to their market researchers instead of the few who nit-pick.

I will give Revell the time they need to develop the new 5.0L Coyote engine. As popular as the real cars are, you can bet it WILL happen in scale. After all, they finally released the 2007 GT500 in when?

Edited by whale392

The only issue I see w/ the Revell GT kit was its timing..Revell came out w/ 2010 models in 2011 as the 1:1 2012s were coming out... so slow to market. Likewise w/ the Camaros--the 1:1 '12s are out, but Revell hasn't even released their '10 kit yet. The '10 GT w/ the 4.6 is a great kit, but it should have been out 2 years ago. Oh well...it's better to have them late than never.

Edited by Rob Hall