Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need help with casting a resin bodies?

rj1988

I'm getting ready to do some outlaw 10.5 and promods style bodies and I was going to use the vacum methed but after seeing a cast resin body on here that some one else did.nd the Qualty of it and thats the was I want to go? Here are some of his picks of the pro mod 63 vette.Again I'm just trying to get instructions on how to build the mold and cast the resin bodies it doesn't have to be idental to his just want to under stand how to make my own mold and how he did it,

The guy that did the 63 vette I belive his name is Rickard and The Mustang is one that my friend did Vacum style and he can get the bodies a little better than that one but still doesn't look as clean as Rickard's 63 vette.

THANKS GUYS

post-9052-0-07564500-1325121937_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-56197800-1325121978_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-91114900-1325122042_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-74893200-1325122066_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-89740900-1325124331_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-54171900-1325124370_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-86733700-1325124392_thumb.jp

post-9052-0-37667400-1325124415_thumb.jp

Edited by rj1988

RJ, I'm no expert on the overall process by no means but have been doing this for a little more than six years now. My specialty is creating the bodies for others to cast but in the past two years have been getting into the casting process myself.

The first thing you would need to ask yourself is what you intend to do with the bodies to determine which route to take. The vacum forming process would work better if your primary goal is to create bodies for slot car darg racing as these need to be as light as possible. This process is not very condusive to the model builder as the bodies simply aren't sturdy enough to create a solid build around.

For the model builder the resin casting format is the best way. For this you're talking about becoming acclimated to a two-part mold process, which can be a bit tricky to master, especially when you are wanting to do entire bodies. A successful mold requires patience and the basics for creating a workable mold. Using Rickards techniques pictured is probably the best way to go. You need a clean master to work from and then you have to create your male/female halves of the mold. A breakdown mold box (like what is pictured) a good mold release agent so your two mold halves don't stick together, a pressure pot big enough to handle the size mold you will need. And, as I already stated, a good deal of patience to get your castings just right.

Someone else would probably be able to chime in here with a more detailed response but this gives you the basic idea of where you be getting started.

We are getting up to the bigger two-piece molds in our resin casting series, but that is an issue or two away right now.

Wayne, email me when you get a chance, I'd like to see what you have come up with over the years, I always am impressed with your work my friend.

I do mostly slot car racing. And for my real fast stuff the Vacum bodies work great because if I reck them I'll just go make another body as I've haven't had it happen to yet but saw one break into about 100 peacies. But I just like the look of the cast mold bodies better and it looked like the bodies mostly stay the same as some times the vacum bodies crack and just don't get the the shape you want all ways.But as for the Cast mold resin bodies after you do your body howto you make your mold (the box he has with the shape of the car) then after that if I understand it right he takes the original body drills a hole in the roof then injecks the cast and lets it set up.