Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Firebird FC

W-409

This is my last one for 2011. It was bought on November 2009 with 5 euros. Not too big price, only wheels, tires and engine were missing. Idea was to build something, which would have raced here in Finland on 80's, or early 90's in Pro Comp Category. This project had many problems and I'll tell this whole story, as it really was:

So first I took one Hemi, wheels and tires from my parts box. Then I had almost everything for the build. I removed original bell housing from that Hemi and fitted the one from kit on its place. And engine was fitting correctly on engine mounts on frame. That time I removed molded on type fuel line from the gas tank.

Oh, It was time to shoot some primer... I primered spoiler and body from inside. Both attempts ended up as mess: Primered parts were looking as smooth as asphalt with all of the cracks etc. So it was time to remove paint, which was pretty hard and took very long time. Finally I had body without paint on my hands...

Here was a break, after that I started building the engine. Valve covers changed to Parts Box resin ones and I fitted old Blower with injectors on place. Headers were from the kit. Then I continued building the frame. All axle systems, gas tank, oil filters etc. were installed, and after them I got it on four wheels. That was anything but easy, because new tires had some problems to fit inside the body, especially in the front. But I got them fit, and continued the build with detailing the engine. I installed ignition wires, and some other plumbing and wiring was done also. This point I decided the color of that body, but later it changed three times...

Finally an other attempt to primer that body, and finally I made it. Then I started assembling those panels on the frame, and then I glued all of the parts to drivers area. With steering axle I had some problems. I had to cut lots of plastic from that part, what comes inside the body. But luckily after that, everything was fitting nicely. Then I installed brake lines.

OK, painting the body next. I tried to paint it from inside, and that ended up as mess. Too much paint, but I managed to fix it looking pretty good. But then painting outside the body was inpossible. First I had too thick paint, and then I made it thinner, and after one coat, I realized, that needs to paint bit heavier coat. And because of very thin paint and heavy coat, you know what happends. Removing the paint again, and then new primer. Spoiler painting went wrong too.

Here I had almost one year break, but after that I painted new primer, and picked up new paint. Spoiler painting went wrong again, and removing the paint was ahead. Finally I managed to paint body succesfully, so I installed decals. Here was new problem. I had to print PC 526 decals myself, but printer was changed and it didn't print white color anymore. So I gave decals to one finnish modeler to print, and finally I managed to install them, when I got decals back. But they were good quality. After having problems with painting that part, which is inside the body, I finally managed to get everything painted succesfully. Then I assembled everything together, and finally. After two years of working, here it is. AirFix Burnout Bird!

PC290462.jpg

PC290463.jpg

PC290464.jpg

PC290465.jpg

PC290466.jpg

PC290467.jpg

PC290468.jpg

PC290470.jpg

PC290471.jpg

PC290472.jpg

Two more:

PC290475.jpg

PC290476.jpg

nice "bird", working on the same (airfix burnout bird) kit my self (in john collins poineer colours)

! havinig problems with headers (not letting the engine sit low enogh in the chassis ) so having to notch top frame rail and side plates !

Will update with pic of mine later,

good job with an awkward kit/build !

just one thing, is the steering link up that way for a reason?

Ultra kewl build Niko. Nice detailing on the wiring, hoses and fuel pump. I can only assume that you had a header clearance issue with the steering linkage. If you can, make a new link from the upper steering to the lower steering arm that allows it to be be just above the headers.

I'll have your question on the fire extinguisher lines answered today or tomorrow depending on how quick I can get my chores done today.

I also noticed you had a problem with a front wheel with the outer rim chopped from where the sprue was attached. A couple of ways to fix that now or in the future. Sand down the face of the wheel and make a new ring or, when all else fails, make sure it's at the bottom when you put it on the axle.

None of this advice is ever to be taken as a criticism of your skills. I just want you to be the best builder you can be and you are well on your way Buddy. :D :D :D

Thanks, Brett, Sean, Joe and Chris!

Sean and Joe: Actually I had no problems with the headers, engine fits really nicely, I think. That steering link is that way, because otherwise it didn't fit at all. And what Joe said, is true. Steering linkage and headers didn't fit together, but otherwise I found no clearence issues. New steering linkage would be good idea, but when frame is built few years ago, I had no skills that time to try building new one. Today, I would build new one, but now it's already bit late. And that wheel thing-yes. I'm sure, I could do it better today, thanks for advice! ;)

Thanks again guys! B)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, little accident happened with this model on the last contest. The Flip-body was open, and it fell down. Windshield and the Firebird Decal got some damage, but I fixed them as good as I could. Especially that decal is not as good as it was, but I guess it's better than nothing. Took some outside pictures too, here you go.

P3010045.jpg

P3010034.jpg

P3010035.jpg

P3010038.jpg

P3010040.jpg