Model Cars Magazine Forum

are your models "off limits" to youngsters?

I remember playing with models my dad built when I was young and it had very much to do with my strong interest in models as I got older.I have a lot of kits and a lot of parts and old built ups etc . so my kids are encouraged to share what I consider our hobby . they are now 9 and 6 and have been wrecking my collection since they were 2. I am not at the gslmc grand champion level so I dont mind so much as there isnt much that cant be fixed if something goes awry.also i would have to finish something first to worry about it being wrecked.Nathan and James do have an apprecitaion for rarity and effort put into models and tend to respect that. as for other kids same goes there if they are interested they can play.most of my concern is centered on the danger of the chemicals and sharp objects used in the building process the rest is just plastic.

I do have some that I would consider off limits but I don't think it will ever be a problem. we go through quite a few models that may never make it back but the experience is worth more than that.

SN852853.jpg

SN852854.jpg

nnlandzoo072.jpg

Mine are off limits to everyone. With that said, I do kep a couple of snap kits handy that they can have if they so choose. That way they can be " hands on " without putting thier hands on my models. My 4 year old grandson already has one that i helped him put togeather, he can play with it all he wants.

It's kinda like give a kid a fish and feed him for a day.

Teach a kid to fish and feed him a life time.

I let them look and handle them and some times i see that

spark in there eyes that i had when i first got into them.

To tell you the truth i love children and if they brake one

no big deal.Just a good excuse to build it again.

My wife and i can not have children so i guess i look

at things a little different.But i try to put children

and the love of them first.

God Bless you and your wife sir, you are the epitamy of how everyone in the world should strive to be