Model Cars Magazine Forum

100100 NIOSH?

heres something i have wondered: aside from trying to be 100% safe, if i am spraying into a pace booth, with fan running, and there is no detectable odor of solvents in the air, is a respirator really necessary? i am sure the really safe answer is to always wear the thing but they are just so clumsy and hard to use that i avoid it when possible...to the probable detriment to my health though its usually been when using buzzcans outdoors or nearly outdoors that i havent at least used a particle mask when painting.

still...any thoughts on this aside from dont be a dumbazz and always use the thing?

heres something i have wondered: aside from trying to be 100% safe, if i am spraying into a pace booth, with fan running, and there is no detectable odor of solvents in the air, is a respirator really necessary? i am sure the really safe answer is to always wear the thing but they are just so clumsy and hard to use that i avoid it when possible...to the probable detriment to my health though its usually been when using buzzcans outdoors or nearly outdoors that i havent at least used a particle mask when painting. still...any thoughts on this aside from dont be a dumbazz and always use the thing?

If you are just using normal paint, not a urethane or other exotic paint, a good spray booth should be fine. Under exposure controls on the Krylon MSDS is says "adequate ventilation". It only recommends use of a respirator if the OSHA standards can not be met through ventilation (like perhaps spraying the inside of a truck box). I'm sure you will find similar direction from other brands of spraypaint. If you are using an airbrush you have even less material in the air.

http://www.theartist...ay_adhesive.pdf