Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mongoose RED started - update 2/18/12

oldscool

Finally getting some bench time after the holidays and started my Double Dragster and Mongoose RED kits.

Here is a mockup of the Mongoose car:

IMG_0642.jpg

Most of the parts cleanup work is done and the chassis, body and engine are ready for paint.

Should the engine be black or bare aluminum for this period? Also, what shade of blue would be correct for the chassis? From what I can tell I will only need to paint the body white and add the decals. Can't wait to get more of this one done as the early REDs were some of my favorite dragsters.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Oh boy, this is gonna be great!

gus

Edited by oldscool

Got a little painting done today. Shot the body in Testors classic white laquer.

IMG_0647.jpg

Painted the engine with Tamiya bare metal aluminum and the manifold and front cover with Tamiya metallic silver.My plan is to brush paint the block semi gloss black but leave the heads and oil pan aluminum. Also drilled the zoomies.

IMG_0645.jpg

More to come soon

gus

Nice job there,,Id go with the hemi orange on the block,,and flat black valve covers,,frame w/gloss black,and then follow the original paint from there,,but that just me.

Hemi orange with black valve covers always looks great but I have never seen any fuel burners have an orange block. Most of them were black when they were still using iron blocks or bare metal after they went to aluminum aftermarket blocks. As for the chassis, the real car had a blue chassis but I'm not sure what shade of blue to use.

gus

Gus, pics look to me like a metallic blue chassis. Back in the day the box art car had a French Blue frame.

Hope this helps...

Bob

I have some Boyds true blue pearl that may be about right as it does look metallic. The drawback to using this paint is that it will take ages to dry and I don't have a dehydrator.

gus

The chassis is Metallic blue, valve covers are chrome, oil pan is aluminum, Engine block and heads are gloss black the wheels are aluminum color not chrome!!.The headers are semi gloss black.

Tom's cars were painted Chrysler metallic blue.I almost forgot the white on the car was a pearl white.

Also the rear tires are too wide for this time period on this car.

I have attached a picture to help anyone

post-6461-0-45922100-1327360600_thumb.jp

Edited by kitswapper

The chassis is Metallic blue, valve covers are chrome, oil pan is aluminum, Engine block and heads are gloss black the wheels are aluminum color not chrome!!.The headers are semi gloss black.

Tom's cars were painted Chrysler metallic blue.I almost forgot the white on the car was a pearl white.

Also the rear tires are too wide for this time period on this car.

I have attached a picture to help anyone

I know the slicks are too wide and the front wing configuration is wrong for the paint scheme also, the pic you posted is the box art pic but Revell has obviously changed the paint scheme and added the winglets to the picture as well as cut off the front end so the different front wing can't be seen.

gus

Edited by oldscool

Yeah I supplied them with that shot for the kit, Tom did run the side Canard wings from time to time so thats not totally inaccurate, the front wing was on the last issue from revell in the 25th scale kit, which the dyes are shot i guess. so they used the 24th scale kit, which i think is much better in some ways.

You don't have to wait till I'm done to start yours. Unless you just want to learn from my mistakes :P .

gus

BINGO!! lol Nah I have way too many on the go right now. Wont be starting on mine for a few months at least. Dont want to end 2012 with 2 dozen unfinished kits! Thats how 2011 ended! heheh

But any issues that do come up during your build...will surely help me :)

Due to my job, I'm only able to get any time at the bench on my off days so updates will only happen about once a week.

After giving it some thought, I decided that the best way to deal with cleaning up and painting the chassis and seat pan was to cut the roll bar away from the seat.

IMG_0650.jpg

As you can see, I got some more engine work done.

And did I mention that I got this one the other day?

IMG_0648.jpg

thanks for looking

gus

• 3 weeks later...

Well I FINALLY got to do some painting on this one. The weather here is terrible for outdoor painting. Went with Chrysler GTS Blue Pearl laquer from MM and it looks a bit dark but it's close enough for me. Still working on the seam in the roll cage hoop.

IMG_0661.jpg

gus