Model Cars Magazine Forum

my latest lonestar/fruehauf combo

well guys, here is my laest project, I've been working on for a little over a month. the truck is pretty much box stock with a few customizations but not very big ones. I'm thinking about planting a 3406 under the hood but I have to do some research to see if they came with cat engines. the trailer is 2 fruehauf trailers converted to a 48' quad 8 spreads. I built the sideboard kit as well as working on the tarping system now. give me some constructive criticism....PS the lonestar complaint is as usual... TOO MUCH DETAIL!! THE CAB LIGHTING IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!! and A BIG THANK YOU TO GORDON FOR SENDING ME THE SPARE CAB!!! since I messed mine up painting it.

anyway here are the pics, sorry for the cell phone quality.

Chad

2012-01-24175232.jpg

2012-01-24175246.jpg

2012-01-24175302.jpg

2012-01-24175730.jpg

Thanks everyone. Thanks for the info Leo, looks like the maxxforce it is than! I wish I had 8 10 hole aluminum wheels for the trailer, it would look 100 times better with them thank the daytons.

Chad

Edited by Chad

I grew up in niles michigan so I used to see these trucks all the time, I just wish I had one more set of suspension and tires and 12 alcoas for more of a "showy" look to it with 6 axles was exactly what I wanted. But thanks you all for the always kind words.

Chad

I was playing around and threw some IMC tanker wheels one it to see how it looked with 6 axles and I love it but the wheels themselves are too huge. Im going to try to find one more suspension from the flatbed to make it a 6 axle and try to find at least 12 alcoas to really make it pop....the tarps are coming nicely though.

Chad

Thanks Chris and A.j. I got all the alcoas rounded up through A.j. I should see those next week sometime, pretty excited to swap them over, just have to figure out what's the best way to split these hubs from the wheels so I can use them with the alcoas.....any tips? I used CA glue on them.

Chad

well here's an update I've been working on the tarps for 3 days now!!! I'm just waiting on all my alcoas to show up, but I was able to get 6 axles worth of alcoas and hubs!!!! the cords are elastic cord I found at walmart for 1.98 for 4.5 meters of it...most of the hooks are made from christmas ornament hanging wire and some other small wire...all I did for the tarps to be able to do the tarps was to paint them and glued on the cords...it was a real pain in the butt!!! I am still working on the lonestar, I have to still finish up the engine and finish up the radiator trim work ( what I found was the issue for the hood fit---at least on my lonestar, but it still is an amazing kit!!!

Chad

2012-01-30095551.jpg

2012-01-30095605.jpg

2012-01-30095627.jpg

Well I got all my alcoas between my 2 new amt kits! Ill be swapping them out today and tomorrow...I threw some on to see how it looks and I love it! Ill get some pics up soon....but it will be a 7 axle heavy haul.

Chad