Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Muscle Cars - Old vs Modern

I am just getting into model car building and have noticed most Revell 60/70's muscle cars are older molds, you have to deal with all the chrome and the more modern muscle cars have nicer newer molds (oviously) the fit is really nice too. Would be nice if Revell would start to release new molded kits like 72 Charger, update the older Stang and Camero kits to 1/25th from 1/24th, new Cuda's ect. The other thing that shocks me is in todays technology you think Revell could offer better more accurate wheels and tires in there kits.

Discussion - what era of kits do you prefer and build and why? What do you enjoy most?

i like the old MPC kits

53 parts of whick 40 were optional engine hop up parts and steel axles

very simple, basic kits but the feeling was just right

only real gripe i have with non-asian kit manufactures is they cast the rims with the lip on the tree, instead of the back which will be hidden in the tire anyway

I like the old AMT kits from the 60's and early 70's but that's probably because that's all I used to build back then. For modern companies Tamiya has spoiled me. I've yet to have a problem with any kit I've built from them. I would love to see a company like Tamiya tackle the early muscle cars.

I am just getting into model car building and have noticed most Revell 60/70's muscle cars are older molds, you have to deal with all the chrome and the more modern muscle cars have nicer newer molds (oviously) the fit is really nice too. Would be nice if Revell would start to release new molded kits like 72 Charger, update the older Stang and Camero kits to 1/25th from 1/24th, new Cuda's ect. The other thing that shocks me is in todays technology you think Revell could offer better more accurate wheels and tires in there kits.

Discussion - what era of kits do you prefer and build and why? What do you enjoy most?

It's more a matter of plain economics: In the product planning meeting, if a new state-of-the-art tool for an existing subject is brought up, sooner or later, someone (most generally the accountants-whose job it is to keep an eye on money in--money out) is gonna ask something like this: If we invest X dollars in new tooling, HOW MANY MORE kits will we sell than what we are doing now? Almost invariably, the answer isn't all that positive.

If the art/science of model kit tooling were only so simple that a "little tweak here, little tweak there" was all that would be required, the answer would be quite a bit different, but unfortunately, almost every time, it involves cutting a lot of new tooling steel, and to what end financially? I know I've often wished that some of the really gnarly older tooling could just be stood, opened up in the men's room, as dividers at the urinals, the problem would be solved, but unfortunately, nobody in the industry seems to think that'd be a good idea. :wacko:

Art

If the art/science of model kit tooling were only so simple that a "little tweak here, little tweak there" was all that would be required, the answer would be quite a bit different, but unfortunately, almost every time, it involves cutting a lot of new tooling steel, and to what end financially?

Art,

Just talking through my hat here but-could tooling be made with another material (other than steel) which would be cost effective, durable and easily repeatable?

OK-I know the simple answer is " they'd be using it if it existed". But have materials like a form of ceramic, or counter-top materials (soapstone?) been tried at least? I know that it must withstand heat and pressure and repeated use. It seems to me that between CAD and CNC this process could be done more easily these days-dunno about the relative cost be I'm sure the big mfgrs either have these systems or could afford them if the molds themselves were made more cheaply.

Sorry for the simplistic questions but it seems as though you could enlighten us on the process.

I would say that the cost of making a new tooling has dropped considerably in the run of our hobby. Back in the day, you needed artists to sculpt the tooling by hand from a sculpted example of the final kit. These days, the kit is constructed on a computer, the tooling cut by CNC lasers and away you go...

I agree, molds don't cost what they use to and with the amount of car kits Revell sells it would pay off. I also agree why update molds when people are still buying the old molds. The new cars 2010 Stang or Camaro kits are so nice, it would be nice to see the do some new older muscle car kits like 1972 Gran Tarino new 1/25 Chevelle SS, 1972 Nova, 1/25 new Cuda's, stuff like that oh and for sure a nice new 1967 Mustang GT500. Also, make some nice tires, stock and custom with brake discs etc. I would rather pay for for a kit and not have to spend money on afterarket tires and rims etc.