Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thanks all. The Great Dane was actually an experiment with aluminum foil and 3M spray adhesive, turned out better then I expected. The lowboy was scratch built by someone and I tore it down (more than it already was) and restored, repainted, reassembled it, the KW was a Revell Germany kit. It was basically a box full of parts when I received it. I'll see if I have any more pics of it. I'm currently in Virginia Beach and my trucks are in NC at my house. The cool thing about the cop car is that the Chief gave me a set of the actual full size decals to use for making mine. Believe it or not, I made those decals in Microsoft Word. The Aerodyne and Great Dane were basically built out of the box.

That trailer was sort of a glue bomb sitting on the shelf for years, so I figured what the heck, I'll try foil. This was before Alclad became popular. I took regular household Reynolds aluminum foil and sprayed the back with 3M spray adhesive, but only on the foil, not the trailer in case I wanted to remove it. Stuck it on and it's been stuck ever since. If you try that on something smooth and flat, you might be able to see the texture of the adhesive underneath the foil. If it was a new build and I was going to do it again, I would use Alclad or bare metal foil, let's the details show better. I priced getting the sides chromed at Chrome Tech and it was way too expensive. I've been using chrome Alclad on a couple of fire trucks I've been working on and it worked out pretty good.