Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Pontiac Grand Prix Conversion

The '62 Catalina and '62 Gran Prix have the same roof. In '63 the Grand Prix had a roof it shared with the Oldsmobile Starfire and Jetstar I, but no other Pontiacs. Why can't you people look this stuff up? The lack of automotive knowledge on model car boards is mystifying. And you don't get bonus points for proving you don't know what you are talking about by posting a wrong answer.

Hey, hats off to Bart !!!!!!!!!!!!

Second , the Dencon resin pieces were meant to fit the "Annual " Bonniville A M T model kit as the pieces were part of the "Mild Custom parts ". I'm told some MINOR trimming MAY be nessesary to make it fir the NEW Catilinia body.

Bart, keep on truckin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Shaver

The '62 Catalina and '62 Gran Prix have the same roof. In '63 the Grand Prix had a roof it shared with the Oldsmobile Starfire and Jetstar I, but no other Pontiacs. Why can't you people look this stuff up? The lack of automotive knowledge on model car boards is mystifying. And you don't get bonus points for proving you don't know what you are talking about by posting a wrong answer.

I agree to some degree . I have confused a portion of my information . Mostly I do not . I was there and remember well long past things . I ma only human . When i am called out on a mistake , I do research and admit I am wrong . If I'm right , I will post my source .

Now to exceptions ..w/b I rode in a Porter . I have the George Barris stinker of a Porter . Not close to what I remember . Sooo ..I do a search ..and the only Porter I am able to find ..is ; " My Mother the Car" ?? If anyone has more info , help please ?

Mike,

I purchased the '63 Grand Prix from Arrowhead a while ago, and I'm still waiting.

Not a problem, tho, because I've been contacted by them informing me they are busy.

I plan on buying more stuff from them down the road. I want to do a '62 GP as well.

What I'm really hoping is that he will redo his '64 molds and repop the '64 GP.

I want to do my parents '64 Grand Prix. I already have the paint, I just need to find a set of hubcaps for it.

My parents GP didn't have 8 lug rims...

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

Hey ian whats up! thought you would like this project when i took some pics off the internet it caught my interest so i orderd it i already have the 8 lug wheels and w/w tires i also know the colors but im not saying you will see when its done i have to leave something to the interest :P:D

Edited by montelsc

• 2 months later...

Is there anyone other than Dencon that makes Grand Prix pieces to convert a '62 Catalina? I found reference on this board of Dencon producing the grille, but there was some argument about it in the thread and he mentioned discontinuing it... at any rate, the website is down and his Twitter account hasn't seen activity in almost a year... I found a conversion kit on eBay ONCE and I'm kicking myself for not snagging it. I think it had both the grille and taillight trim pieces. I figure if anyone knows where to find this, this board will! :)

Arrowhead components he does resin and builds real PONTIAC if you do a little looking he does more pochos like a 70 GP

Absolutely positively!!!!! Bart!!!!

In MrObsessive's story he posted it said that bubbletops were used on Chevrolet BelAirs and Impalas in 1962. I've never seen a 62 Impala bubbletop. As for Pontiac Grand Prix, the convertible style roof was on the 62. The formal square roof was on the 63/64 models. Look it up on Google. Its easy to find.