Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell C6-R Corvette (7-4-07 update)

ismaelg

One thing you will ned to know: when you do final fitment the hood will hit the bottom of the radiator. I had to sand down the intake face after I painted it. You wont see it unless you take the hood off, but it will not fit snug.

Thanks Jon, I'll check on that...

Sanded the molded belts away. Added some talcum powder to the wet paint and painted again for some texture. Once dry, a light sanding will even it out. The 6 point harness will cover most of it anyways.

DSCF6426b.jpg

Thanks,

Started working on the interior.

The Motorola radio is as important as the engine :lol: Communications, telemetry etc. Braided Radio Frequency cable.

Eectrical lines to an electronic box, electronics wiring out

Machined cooler can top and aluminum handle. I thought about leaving that bright and shiny but accuracy won over and it is now correct flat white. The can was blue in the #4 car.

Central tunnel is gunmetal.

This is only the begining..... it's gonna get busy....

DSCF6434b.jpg

Thanks,

Ismael, this is looking great!

These are by far, my favorite race cars and I'm loving the updates.

I have a few photos that you may find helpful.

Yesterday, I went to the ALMS New England Grand Prix, and got some very up close shots of the C6-R Corvettes, and all the other cars. In the paddock, you really get up close to these.

It was a great day, and I had a pretty funny conversation with one of the Corvette techs about the driveshaft ordeal at LeMans and how they tried to get away with driving the car back to the pits on the starter so they could replce the driveshaft.

Side detail. The large circular hole behind the door is a vent with screening at the opening. Also note the red door latch handle, and the mirrors. On the #3 car, they are yellow with a carbon ring around the glass. On the #4 car, the mirror is completely carbon.

P1010044-vi.jpg

A couple shots with the right side door open. That shiny gold item is part of the air conditioning system.

P1010073-vi.jpg

P1010064-vi.jpg

Rear wing mounts.

P1010063-vi.jpg

And finally, two very cool details.

First is the rear mounted radiator and fan (BTW, your diffuser looks perfect compared to the real thing!)

P1010059-vi.jpg

Lastly, since you're going to open the doors, both Corvette's have an American flag in the inset of the driver's door. That would be a very cool detail to add.

P1010052-vi.jpg

I hope you can use these Ismael.

Here's a link to my Fotki album with all 134 photos.

http://public.fotki.com/hogs29/alms-new-england-gr/

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas,

Those are GREAT pictures! Thanks! I saved them all! I see many subtle and not so subtle changes between chassis #3 and 4 (2006 cars # 3 and 4 respectively) and the current 2007 cars (chassis # 5 and 6). I was out for 2 weeks but I hope to resume working on this again pretty soon.

Regards,

Yesterday, I went to the ALMS New England Grand Prix,

Hello Tom

I was at the race also we parked in the infield close to the shicane in between the motorhomes.

It was a great time. Got a lot of detail pics of the Ferrari F430. Espeacially the eng compartment.

I would like to go to the petit lemans this year.

Ariel :blink:

Hello,

Progress has been very slow. Modeling time is really suffering these days. I was out of town for 2 weeks and now I'll be out of the country all next week on biz travel.

But at least I was able to finish the interior of the C6R. It may need a touch up here or there but it is pretty much done. Quite different from box stock :lol: I want to eventually build a box stock to display next to it. I like to treat each subassembly as a separate model in itself. So I feel as if I finished one :D

Air ducts, carbon fiber, toggle switches, mesh nets, machined shifter, cool can top and steering column, wiring, plumbing, Motorola radio, steering wheels detached, racing harness etc etc The separation line in the dash is correct. It comes apart for servicing.

Photographing this was quite a challenge since everything is mostly black. This means nothing will be seen once the car is assembled :lol: Keep in mind these pics are actually larger than actual size.

DSCF6737b.jpg

DSCF6756b.jpg

DSCF6752b.jpg

DSCF6754b.jpg

DSCF6757b.jpg

DSCF6759b.jpg

Thanks,

Small update:

Modeling time has been so little recently due to my work traveling that I'm begining to worry about having this model done for the upcoming show in early November... :rolleyes:

Here is some little progress: The exhaust tips were too thick for my liking so I sanded them off and made new ones from aluminum tubing. The headers were painted MM exhaust and rust.

DSCF6767b.jpg

Thanks,

OK, No more Mr. Nice Guy. Time to get serious. This is the last time you'll see the engine compartment "box stock". This, the belts and a crossmember in front of it is all there is in the kit.

I already started hacking and whacking the intake for a correct racing setup.

DSCF6761b.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Inspired by Mark Jones and with guidance from him, I faced my fear of decals head on with SMS CF decals. There are easily over 20 small pieces of carbon fiber decals here. The logo and Corvette Racing decals are my own. This is the first time I successfully do my own decals. I also did all other sponsor decals I needed for this build (Klein tools, Katech, Hella, NCM, GCA, BBS, Michelin man, the 2006 ALMS logo etc)

Anyway, after hours and hours (days) of "carbon fibering".....

DSCF6778b.jpg

DSCF6780b.jpg

Fully wired (plug wires, ignition modules electricals, fuel rail, air sensors, etc), cooling system plumbed, PE radiator, air hose to restrictor clamps, etc..

Still a few minor items remaining like hood pins and steering rack...

Can you tell the difference? The box stock represents the show car. I'm doing the car as it raced in Atlanta 2006.

DSCF6776b.jpg

Thanks,

Hello,

Inspired by Mark Jones and with guidance from him, I faced my fear of decals head on with SMS CF decals. There are easily over 20 small pieces of carbon fiber decals here. The logo and Corvette Racing decals are my own. This is the first time I successfully do my own decals. I also did all other sponsor decals I needed for this build (Klein tools, Katech, Hella, NCM, GCA, BBS, Michelin man, the 2006 ALMS logo etc)

Anyway, after hours and hours (days) of "carbon fibering".....

DSCF6778b.jpg

DSCF6780b.jpg

Fully wired (plug wires, ignition modules electricals, fuel rail, air sensors, etc), cooling system plumbed, PE radiator, air hose to restrictor clamps, etc..

Still a few minor items remaining like hood pins and steering rack...

Can you tell the difference? The box stock represents the show car. I'm doing the car as it raced in Atlanta 2006.

DSCF6776b.jpg

Thanks,

nice, theres a lot of difference, it looks great :D

Looks like the days of orange peel and rub-through spots are over for you. Nice work! :D

Leon,

No they are not :D I just hide them :D

Seriously, I have to say I am where I am today thanks to you! My lacquer Zenzei Master!

Thanks,

Hello,

I believe in treating every subassembly as a model itself.

Here is the C6R hood.

Unlatched hood pins and about half an acre of SMS carbon fiber in the back.

DSCF6791b.jpg

DSCF6793b.jpg

There are 11 separate CF decals in there. Yes, there is a yellow perimeter on the underside.

What do you think?

Thanks,

I was hoping to have it done by my next trip but I'm going out of the country again next week and there are so many things pending I ask mysef: How did this go from an innocent build to one of the more complex builds I've done?

Here is a teaser picture....

DSCF6803b.jpg

Thanks,