Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first model. AMT 1955 Chevy Cameo

Hello Every one! My name is Luis, but lots of people know me by pancake. Its been my forum nick name for years and I have been in the automotive scene for quite some while, imports to be exact and had a civic featured in a magazine last year. Anyways this is my first time building a model car. In this case a truck. SO sorry if its terrible! ha. I dont know where you guys get aftermarket wheels, or how to lower my model a bit, but im going to try it. Anyways on to some pictures and my progress.

1) Well took a photo of the cameo before I painted the cab. Decided to go with Blazing Metallic black from testors.

6895426223_883e606dc3_z.jpg

2) Here's a pic of the cab painted. I did 3 coats of testors Lacquer Blazing black. Im pretty happy with the results. Zero drips or runs, this is my first time spray painting a plastic model truck.

6895434993_ee75364d3f_z.jpg

I also painted the frame flat black. dash board, steering wheel are match painted to the exterior of the truck. But I decided to go with red seats. The seats only have one coat of paint and I havent taken a picture yet. Would love to get to meet more fellow model car builders. So please comment on my thread. I will keep you updated.

Plans: Bigger motor. Dont know what yet. But the small 265 v8 wont cut it. LOL

Id like to lower it. But would like for it to roll.. i dont know if thats possible .... sugguestions?

Is it just me, or does the rear and especially front windshield of my cameo fit like poop?

Its just you lol. Sorry Luis, no that screen fits as you describe. Best way Ihave heard of fixing it is to lay a thin strip of styrene around/across the cowl (base of screen on truck) to build it up a little. If the version of kit you have has it there could be a dropped front axle to lower the front, otherwise you will have to adapt suspension out of another kit. Or you could z the frame at both ends although that can cause you other issues.

I like what you have for your first build. There are a couple of ways to lower that kit...traditional reverse axle and springs, both front and rear..use a dropped axle up front. The other way is to trash the original front and rear suspension and motor, while your cutting. Heres an idea ....A few Z06 parts....

IMG_0372-1.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

Hey guys! Well time to do some updating! Love this new hobby. Cant believe it takes so much time! On to the pics:

I was going to swap the motor, but since this is my first build, and I dont have extra parts nor have I gone to buy new parts I figured Id build the stock 265 v8 it comes with... i know down the road Ill swap a big block in there or a ls1

6776120210_55e2013db6_z.jpg

I also dont have any cool wheels or anything :( so for the mean time Im going to lower the truck on the stock wheels :/

6776121752_0049558582_z.jpg

Here's a pic of the cab. I put the rearview mirror in, and mounted the radiator, headlights and parking lights.

6922238189_4e5dff1f85_z.jpg

With the interior I decided to paint the bench red. I think it looks good against the black. I might be wrong but I liked it.

6922241139_d272e807b8_z.jpg

Dont mind the bed, it looks wrong but its just put together for mock up.

6914403575_08c53a4f7e_z.jpg

Im working with lowering it right now.....

• 4 weeks later...