Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished - Revell 1948 Ford Custom

Exotics_Builder

Not a topic that really is an interest to me, but it was the club project for 2011 and was to be finished for the February 2012 meeting. I built the model pretty much as provided in the kit with a few mods.

The mods I did were detail the engine a bit along with a Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland Thickstun air cleaner. I also added a side aerial and a MCG billet side view mirror. I didn’t have enough time to work out a carb linkage to get around the fuel lines, so I decided to let it go (it was tough as this is something I usually like to do, especially on older engines).

Some lessons I got on assembling were:

• Finicky chassis that had a lot of parts needing placement that didn’t necessarily have locator pins (like the panhard bars). For those thinking of building it, I would assemble the chassis completely and then detail paint it. I had to do a lot of scraping and applying super glue.
  • Even using the supplied suspension for the custom, the car still sits high. If I had more time to do it, I would have “hogged” out the suspension more to get it to sit lower.
  • Do not apply the steering arm first as per the instructions. Wait until after you install the engine as the left header is interfered with as you install it.

The model is painted with Testor’s lacquer Fiery Orange followed up by their Wet Look Clear. It polished out pretty easily. The interior is a combination of Testor’s Dark Tan and Light Ivory. I use a technique where I deepen the door and trunk lines before painting to provide a more realistic appearance. The downside is that it collects polishing compound more easily. I still need to clear that out and then I usually fill with Tamiya Smoke to add some darkening.

Anyway, here are some photos of the 99.9% finished model:

Rev-48-Ford_custom-01.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-02.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-03.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-04.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-05.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-06.jpg

Rev-48-Ford_custom-07.jpg