Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Sedan Project

So Im going to beg the wife if I can stop by the hobby shop to pick up my 32 ford and some supplies I still need for my Ferrari. So I was wondering if I could get some input. I have an idea what I want to do but I still want to keep some of it under wraps.

I have done just a little research on 32 Ford rods.

Here is the kit I am thinking of getting...

http://hobbytown.com...d-%282-in-1%29/

Now I have seen that 350's can go in the 1:1 so here is what I was thinking for the engine kit.

http://stores.scaled...-Tpi/Detail.bok

Q's

1) Will I be able to use this engine with this kit?

2) I have not found any assembled pictures of this engine, has anyone in here done one?

3) This is a Chevy engine correct? So it is safe to color it "chevy engine red" then? :)

4) Also any comments, advice, ideas for this build would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Crazy8

The 32 sedan is a great kit and comes with a "modern" 5.0L (or 302 c.i.) engine and a cool flathead V8. If you want a Chevy engine, it might be a good idea to just buy a kit with a good one, and cheaper, too. Those resin Ross Gibson engines are like $25 and can be a bit of a chore to work with compared to plastic, and don't come with a transmission. Are you looking for a carbureted or injected engine? If you want that same style engine as the Ross Gibson, I would recommend any of the 86 Monte Carlo kits. It also has a nice automatic trans. The block hugger headers can be found in the new 1965 Chevy Stepside kit, the one with the green truck.

You can paint the engine any color you want since it's a hot rod. The way the engine mounts to the frame will be different than the original kit intended. You will need to come up with new mounts.

Edited by Nate

Well I already got the OK from the wife to get it as a wedding anniversary gift to myself...lol Our first wedding anniversary is Sunday :wub: . Anway Maybe I will see what the kit engines look like. Im not really particular on injected or carburated, so long as it looks cool. I just saw that engine and was like wooooooooo...lol Thanks for the pointers and who knows maybe I will stick with one of those two engines. I also only mentioned the chevy red witht he chevy engine just for detail sake but I may paint the engine red regardless. :)

Well I have started on my car and after much thinking on how I wanted to exicute a few things I started by chopping the top. Though my cuts were strait, I think I may have slightly messed it up somehow. Anyway I have decided to move forward and to make it look the best I can thought its not perfect and not sure if I can deal with that..lol Im also trying to figure out how to drop the chassis. I have seen some 32's use different front suspenion which may be helping in this but I want my 32 loooooow. Not touching the ground but low. I have done a lot of sanding to the body to remove exces filler after the chopping. I will post pictures asap.

Anyone have a '32 ford body from this kit that they would be interested in selling? My chopping might have gone a little better if I could find my $250 calliper I used to have. I know I moved into our new house with it but now I cant find it anywhere. :(

ATTN: Moderators

Im thinking this could probably be moved to the "on the bench" area since I will be posting pictures of the build and updating this project as I move along.

Well I decided to undo all the work I did and to do it the right way, or so its how I was seeing it as being the right way. So here is where I am at now.

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0066-1.jpg

Back

IMAG0067-1.jpg

Its not absolutely perfect which is what I strive for but its 100 times better than what it was. I hope from here on out I can finish it off and make it look as good as I have been imagining. Only my second model and my first "custom" with the chopping and all that so Im kind of surprised I didn't make it worse. Put i also think about what I do 100 times and how to do it before I do anything that might not be reversable...lol

Is there a method or a "right way" to do chop tops with no or little issues?