Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 scale Buick Nailhead

The one in the AMT 1966 Wildcat is fairly nice. Once built, it make a credible representation of the engine.

Your other two reasonably-easily-sourced options are AMT's 1962 Buick Electra 225 and 1965 Riviera. Perhaps something had one as a hot-rod engine, but nothing I can think of.

Charlie Larkin

66 Riv has a nice stock one with dual quads and finned aluminum valve covers,65 Riv has a supercharger setup optional but a huge hole through the block, AMT 40 Ford coupe and sedan delivery have a simple tri carb or blown nailhead - not sure if hot rod parts from other kits are compatible

Edited by ChrisPflug

AMT's 40 ford sedan, and Pickup both have a Nail Head with three Deuces. But a better choice is the Resin Nail Head from The Parts Box. I have used the one from The Parts Box in three Builds, and I have one that will go in my 25 Ford Chopped Coupe that is inspired by The LA Choppers Build: Bad News. Bad News has a 51 Olds in it, but right now there isn't a good early Olds available. I'm looking forward to Revells release of the 50 Olds!

Edited by Ragnar

Sorry I got that Backwards, it has been Awhile since I built either of those kits, and You are correct about the coupe having the Nailhead. I just looked in my stash and the Coupe has a nailhead but not a very good one. I looked threw my old Plans file and the Olds in the 40 Sedan isn't bad for the time period the kit was made in, but it hasn't been in production for a long time. The new Revell 50 Olds is going to be a much better engine with a lot more detail! Revell Hurry and Release The Olds!

There is No way that I am going to take the Motor out of my Orange Crate, that kit is just to hard to replace!

Edited by Ragnar

heres an offbeat kind of suggestion. try a Rover/MG/Morgan V8, it was built under license from GM and resembles a nailhead though technically i am not sure they *are* a "nailhead". the most prominent feature i think of with a nailhead is the valve covers standing straight up from the heads and thats how this motor is set up. i believe either mini exotics or southeast finecast sells these in a white metal kit:

frontleft2ps8.jpg

rightsiderearas7.jpg

as you can see, it lineage can be traced back to the buick nailhead style motor. take off that SU carbeurator rig and replace it with hilborn injection or tri power or something and it would look pretty sweet.

edit: the more i look at that last photo the more i realize the valve covers arent really sitting how they should. its not apparent in real life but that photo shows it more than it should. anyway suffice to say you CAN make it look right even if i did not! :D

Edited by jbwelda

The Rover engine has its roots in the early '60s Buick 215 aluminm V8 found in the Buick Special, Olds F-85, and the Pontiac Tempest. Other that a passing resemblance of the rocker arm cover design, it shares no parts with the Nailhead. It has a much more conventional rocker arm layout, rather than the vertical valves found on the Nailhead. It also shares much of its basic layout with the later Buick V6 and V8 engines.

In the distant past, the best looking Nailhead was in the AMT double Trophy Kit of the 40 Willys and 32 Ford Tudor. The Buick was for the Ford and it's best feature were the matching valve covers and spark plug cover, which together would focus the eye on the unique head this engine used. It was topped by a set of triple deuces on the intake. The Ford was a custom with a channeled body with small trim fenders riding above a triple set of lake pipes running along the side. The grille featured an Edsel upright grille surroundedp by over and under Lucas lights. Unfortunately this half of the double kit has not seen the light of day, whereas we have had the Willys with us over the years.

In the distant past, the best looking Nailhead was in the AMT double Trophy Kit of the 40 Willys and 32 Ford Tudor. The Buick was for the Ford and it's best feature were the matching valve covers and spark plug cover, which together would focus the eye on the unique head this engine used. It was topped by a set of triple deuces on the intake. The Ford was a custom with a channeled body with small trim fenders riding above a triple set of lake pipes running along the side. The grille featured an Edsel upright grille surroundedp by over and under Lucas lights. Unfortunately this half of the double kit has not seen the light of day, whereas we have had the Willys with us over the years.

There was talk of Round 2 reissuing that kit if there was enough interest. I never heard for sure if their going to do it or not. I'm hoping the do, or at least reissue the Ford half.