Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the best types of airbrushes?

I know this is an endless topic and been through it countless times. I'm on my phone and don't want to search. So here is the question. What are the top five airbrushes? I was bidding on a paasche H and someone sniped it for 16 bucks.

There is no way to name the "top five" airbrushes.

That's like asking us to list the "top five" colors or the "top five" models. No way it can be done, everyone has their own personal preferences.

Just about any name-brand airbrush will do the job. The biggest real difference is between single action and double action, and gravity feed vs. suction feed... and again, there is no "right" answer, it's a matter of personal preference.

A double action brush gives you more control over the spray than a single action, because you can alter the amount of paint that you're spraying by how far back you pull the trigger. But a single action brush can also do a great job. Same with suction feed vs. gravity feed... they both have their pros and cons and personal preference is ultimately what it comes down to.

Another thing to consider is how comfortable it is. If it's not...you probably won't use it. If you can, go somewhere that has multiple types and brands to see what is the best for your hand and ask plenty of questions. Also price...you don't need the most expensive airbrush around. Personally, I'd go with a decent double-action. It's a better all-around choice if you're serious about using it alot. I'm not going to mention any brands, because that'll be something you'll have to decide on your own. I'm sure you'll get some opinions though. It's what's best for you that counts.

Edited by The70judgeman

I agree that siphon feed (or suction feed, same thing) is a better choice than gravity feed, both for ease of quick color changes and the fact that a suction feed paint bottle can hold more paint than a typical gravity feed airbrush can.

I say if you are on a budget, you can't go wrong with the Paasche H to start with, and later you can move on to either, Grex, Iwata, Badger . . . there are so many choices. Check out the Airbrush issue that Airbrush Magazine publishes once a year. They have lots of great information.

I would have to agree with the Doc. The Pasche H is a great starter single action brush. You can find them online for under $50 with all of the extras included. After using it for awhile you will get a good idea of what your next brush should be but you will always use the Pasche H. I have had mine for 10 years and I still go to it because it is easy to use and clean.

The very BEST type of air-brush for you is the one that works for you. People are different and while someone turns out great paint jobs with type A air-brush, another person can get the same results with type B air-brush, so it's another case of to each their own or whatever works best for you.

There is no way to name the "top five" airbrushes.

That's like asking us to list the "top five" colors or the "top five" models. No way it can be done, everyone has their own personal preferences.

Just about any name-brand airbrush will do the job. The biggest real difference is between single action and double action, and gravity feed vs. suction feed... and again, there is no "right" answer, it's a matter of personal preference.

A double action brush gives you more control over the spray than a single action, because you can alter the amount of paint that you're spraying by how far back you pull the trigger. But a single action brush can also do a great job. Same with suction feed vs. gravity feed... they both have their pros and cons and personal preference is ultimately what it comes down to.

....you forgot internal and external mix... :)

I have a badger 175, with all three tip sizes. It's nice but, a little finiky and a lot of parts to have on hand. I have an "h" as you were bidding on, same thing as the 175, lots of parts to keep on hand. My go to guy is my Iwata eclipse cs. I use it for mural work. I've got a matco knock off that looks just like my eclipse that Ive been using for models and other hobby type things. Seems to work pretty well

I have heard good reviews on the new Iwata brand Neo.They are carried by Hobby Lobby with the coupon in the news paper for 40% off usually. You could probably pick one of those up affordably.

Gabriel... I just picked up one of the Iwata brand Neo gravity feed air brushes yesterday from Hobby Lobby with the 40% of coupon. I have been looking for something other than my Badger Model #200 and my Devilbis mini HVLP gun that I use. I am planning on pretty much using the gravity feed airbrush for my Alclad paints since they ready to spray and I don't want to waste much of the paint when its dumped into a 3/4 or 2oz jar, as well as for smaller pieces I would paint.

Im not a type of person that can not just use one brush, what ever brush i get ill get used to it doesnt matter if its easy or not. As long as its not some qaud action gravity fed thinner with suction paint with its own air compressor. :wacko: So I guess the cheapest will be the paasche H and Ill look on ebay for the others meantioned and mostly go by brands just so it will widen the range out. Thank you for the information I see there is a lot more to look for.

Just remember, a good brush is only HALF the equation. Make sure to invest in at least a decent compressor as well. Hobbico has a nice compressor from "Model Maker" that comes with a pressure regulator and a moisture trap. For its price (I've seen them sell for about $130) it is a good unit considering the regulator and trap alone can sell for about $45.00 by itself.

I would agree on the Paasche H model as the very best single action airbrush and a good one to start with, but when you want to move up to a Double Action I recomend the Paashe VL, or Talen siphon models, and for a fine detail brush the Talon Gravity Feed. You can't Buy a better brush than the ones made by Paasche. I have tried IWATA Brushes and I own one , But they are no better than the Paasche Brushes, they just cost three times as much or more. Badgers are no where as good as the Paashe. I haven't tried the Grex becase I am not comfortabl with a pistol grip airbrush.

The Paasche is the oldest brand of airbrush in the world, because they were the original airbrush, starting in 1904, and they are american made!