Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Time Capsule Plymouth

That is too bad. I would have loved to seen it pulled out in prestine condition. I wonder where they went wrong?

They would have been better off dumping it in the cold water of Lake Mich, where they have pulled some 60 year old aircaft that was in nearly in prestine condition. One Wildcat they pulled up the battery still took a charge and held it, had oil in the crankcase and the engine turned.

Wow, she's already lookin' way better than she did fresh outta the ground!

I remember hearing about that Wildcat, the guy told his Co ot whomever that he had t wide open id it wasn't making any power, which forved him to dump it right off the run way. Of course he caught hell for sinking the plane, and when it was brought up, the throttles were shoved as far forward as they would go...just as he claimed they were. Don't know if he ever lived long enough to see it in person again, but he was shown the video of it as the plane was brought up and placed on shore as well as was told that the way the recovery crew found it confirmed his story!

Wow, she's already lookin' way better than she did fresh outta the ground!

I remember hearing about that Wildcat, the guy told his Co ot whomever that he had t wide open id it wasn't making any power, which forved him to dump it right off the run way. Of course he caught hell for sinking the plane, and when it was brought up, the throttles were shoved as far forward as they would go...just as he claimed they were. Don't know if he ever lived long enough to see it in person again, but he was shown the video of it as the plane was brought up and placed on shore as well as was told that the way the recovery crew found it confirmed his story!

The had a mock up of an aircraft carrier in Lake Mich, there was an estimated 250 panes down there only a few have been recovered.

I remember in the 70s they were selling titles to these planes for $50 each, the only catch was you had to salvage the plane within 6 months or a year at an estimated $400,000.00 back then.

I guess the Wildcat was salvaged by a privateer and when the Navy got wind of it the seized the airplane, salvage equipment, and charged him with messing with US Government property, punishable by up to 10 years.

They, only ending up replacing 93 of the 3,700 or so of the original rivets. It is one of the few flying Wildcats today.

Edited by CAL