Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fiat Abarth

Terror

This kit is a bummer.First off it was missing the seat and roof cover,must be on the same tree.Then I get ready to start work on it and the tire doesn't fit the rim, see pic.All thats done so far are the wheel well flares.But I thought it was a cute lil thing so I'm gonna try to salvage what they gave me, so here goes.002.jpg001.jpg

try putting the tire in some warm water to help soften it so it stretches more.

I don't think that's going to help here. :rolleyes:

I don't know how old this kit is, but I built 4 differnt Gunze Sangyo kits in the late 80's, early 90's and the tires rot and split in a few years, so your probably ahead of the game having to replace them straight away.

• 2 months later...

I have the same kit, and when I went to spray it in primer a weird wrinkling showed through it did it only on the body not any other parts and I sprayed everything the same day, I have the kit with the metal parts and mine was missing a pin that holds the axle in place double bummer!! Since they are not in production anymore and it is an expensive kit. Also was your body like a weird brittle plastic? It was strange to me as I have never seen a kit like that. I have the triumph TR2 or 3 high tech model kit and the plastic is completely different. I think I am going to leave that one alone and just hold on to it, that to was an expensive kit.

Man, I love this thing. I was a mechanic on some racing Abarths in the early '70s including a 1300 OT, which was on a modified Fiat 850 chassis if I remember right. We bought several Abarth cars from Al Cosentino / Faza, and ran them in SCCA. Incredibly fast for what they were, and tough.

What engine is going under that hood scoop?