Model Cars Magazine Forum

Organization

I've been racking my brain over how to organize my space. I dont have a workbench. Thought about buying a tv dinner tray to act as one but skeptical. The biggest problem I'm facing though is I am able to work on my models during down time for hours on end. Does anyone have.any ideas as to what I can use/ make to transport my paints, glue, and parts safely? I generally only take what I know I will be working on. Thanks in advance. All ideas/ suggestions are welcome.

Edited by MikeyB08

I have the same problem. I don't have a dedicated space for building. My wife suggested setting up a table in the living room, but having cats in the house I told her the cats would die if and when they get into my stuff. For now I have my things organized into boxes that I have to unpack and then pack back up when I'm done.

Sound's like the same house for me Rick. I didnt even think about a tool box. Maybe even a tackle box since the slots can be made to size. Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Going to walmart now to look. Will let you know what I find Rick.

Plastic tackle box may work out for you. I know someone who works on a fast food tray while watching TV! Not me, I couldn't do that, but for some it works.

Ha... Must have posted this as I was typing. Goong to walmart now to look.

I have a plastic organizer in my model area that came from Office Depot. It has four drawers and they have different depths so storing things in it is pretty easy. It is on wheels and can be moved around, even on carpet, and is very handy.

I would suggest something a little more sturdier than a TV tray for model building as they can tip over pretty easy. If you can negotiate using the kitchen table with the promise to not leave a mess or spill on the table, then you will have a more solid surface to work on.

I travel with my job and used to take a toolbox with me to work on models in my hotel room but now I leave it at home as I am usually too tired to work on models at the end of the day. I had knives, paints, glues,brushes, files and sanding sticks in there to do some of the basic starting work on a kit before I got home to the airbrush/dremel/spray cans.

I would recommend while you're at wally-world to check out this table: http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Foot-Folding-Table/7679248 It's similar to what Charlie said but gives you a bit more room to spread things out on when you want to work. The tackle box is a great suggestion to, or you can pick up the "dorm room size" organizer bins that work nicely too. Hope some of these suggestions help.

Thanks guys... I def have a lot to go on now. I was able to look at some Tackle Boxes and found a few good ones. Being a fisherman myself, I might have an empty one somewhere. As far as space to work on, I was at work today and got to designing me a workspace table. Thanks again with all the suggestions/ ideas. Really helps.